Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

It seems now that some roundels are Roundels and some aren't. 

The large one it the end of broadway has been turned into a sort of roundabout by use of cones and keep left signs as you navigate it. So now you can't use it the way we were told too, as an unmarked junction. You now have to go around it clockwise. Can someone please get a grip at the DOI 

It would seem no one in charge there has any idea what the words roads and safety mean.

The uk new highway code is now printed. Let's just use that with a local leaflet with the differences that apply to the iom. 

Please don't do what you did several years ago and insist on our own highway code which was more expensive than the UK edition and was largely out of date by the time it was printed. 

Do the basics but try and do it right. 

Edited by emesde
Spelling

We found that yesterday evening - you can no longer drive straight across at the Broadway roundel, but you still can at Greensills Corner.

It it's supposed to be a roundabout now, there aren't enough cones to make it look right, and someone is going to drive through them. It's all very amateurish.

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Looks like garden walls aren’t going to be repaired for summer 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/work-to-sunken-gardens-could-be-delayed/

Another attractive feature for TT and other visitors then.

It would be interesting to conduct a proper exit survey of visitors to find out exactly what they think of the Island's presentation, appearance and upkeep as local opinion and contribution doesn't seem to matter.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

We found that yesterday evening - you can no longer drive straight across at the Broadway roundel, but you still can at Greensills Corner.

It it's supposed to be a roundabout now, there aren't enough cones to make it look right, and someone is going to drive through them. It's all very amateurish.

Yes I found that ironic, after many months of it being an unmarked junction it now has keep left arrows marking which way they went you to go, so it’s now a temporarily marked, unmarked junction.

3 hours ago, Banker said:

Looks like garden walls aren’t going to be repaired for summer 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/work-to-sunken-gardens-could-be-delayed/

That wall would be a weeks work for a decent contractor with the right number of staff. 

It's just typical Local Authority/DBC pain in the arse thinking. The sea wall isn't their concern so don't worry about it and fix the wall. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, monasqueen said:

Preparing to instal the new TT traffic lights for bikes and ( non existent ) horse trams.

A966C7F1-6F3D-4F5D-A911-25080FE1AD1C.jpeg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

That wall would be a weeks work for a decent contractor with the right number of staff. 

It's just typical Local Authority/DBC pain in the arse thinking. The sea wall isn't their concern so don't worry about it and fix the wall. 

Are they going to repair the fallen wall at Quarterbridge

I think I heard Andrew Bentley say ‘let’s spend money sensibly’ that would be a first. Also, it looks like the kids play area at the sunken gardens will be out of use until the new sea wall is built some years hence. 

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There's an insurance issue with the QB wall I have been told. Couple of stonemasons I know were asked to quote for it, but after being given the spiel have turned it down.

Whoever it is that keeps repairing the one at gooseneck seems to be doing a good job, always a nice consistent finish, even though they must be sick of repairing it.

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

There's an insurance issue with the QB wall I have been told. Couple of stonemasons I know were asked to quote for it, but after being given the spiel have turned it down.

I wonder if it's because it can't be done without closing the rh lane of the road (as you go downward), as it's not safe to work on the wall with the traffic so close. 

Edited by Happier diner