Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

One question could be, how many people have actually missed the horse trams in the period that they've not been operating? If it wasn't for Covid hitting tourism and offering a convenient excuse, I suspect not many.

Apart from some beardy anoraks. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

One question could be, how many people have actually missed the horse trams in the period that they've not been operating? If it wasn't for Covid hitting tourism and offering a convenient excuse, I suspect not many.

Apart from some beardy anoraks. 

I missed the horse trams. I missed getting stuck behind a bus which couldn’t squeeze past on the inside. The prom, with all its roadworks, was faster.

• Like 2

...but it was fun waving to the school trip kids on the only occasion the tram was full!!!

I fear it is now too late to do something useful for the prom? Unless, there is a brave MHK who will propose terminating them at the bottom of Broadway???

However, it was the Queens Prom where the worst holdups were caused, so even the above would only be a win-lose!

Perhaps a survey of those who live/work in Douglas??

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

The really interesting question is whether they lose more by having the infrastructure, rolling stock, horses and essential staff and running no service than operating a full service with seasonal staff employed but a small ticket income.

Suspect not running the service just about loses less. So it can be sold as a victory.

It depends it you could their actual costs (capital and revenue budgets) v. just the the revenue budget that they like to use. 

They're spending about £4.5m a year essentially as a slush fund on 'maintenance' projects. Then add on top the operating costs and the losses really add up. 

Previously all capital items were itemised and put before Tynwald separately. Things like Ballure Bridge on the MER. But now it all just gets nodded through in the C.£4.5m slush fund in the budget. 

9 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It depends it you could their actual costs (capital and revenue budgets) v. just the the revenue budget that they like to use. 

They're spending about £4.5m a year essentially as a slush fund on 'maintenance' projects. Then add on top the operating costs and the losses really add up. 

Previously all capital items were itemised and put before Tynwald separately. Things like Ballure Bridge on the MER. But now it all just gets nodded through in the C.£4.5m slush fund in the budget. 

When you consider that the government seemingly won't intervene to ensure that wheat is grown, milled and bread is baked in the amounts needed to supply the island, and yet they will spunk millions upon millions on this.

That doesn't mean I'm against our heritage transport systems, btw, I just don't think the governm......oh, drop the illusion, the civil service has any, but any, sense of perspective. It is it's own function at this stage.

Anyway, back to the prom. It's a bit shit, isn't it?

• Like 4

If they are the tourist draw that some would have us believe, then it wouldn't have been beyond the wit of man to move them entirely away from the prom, to a site where the horses and trams could be an attraction and construct a short length of track etc etc. It couldn't have cost more than the current fiasco !

Less a tourist draw and more a part of one man's exclusive hobby set. Given that the new track arrangement is now shorter and more convoluted with its as yet unapproved crossings, it makes one wonder how much of a "draw" they'll still be?

If one adds up whatever part of the Prom Budget that has been swallowed up by the trams specifically to most recent and perhaps projected losses for the trams - anybody want to hazard any guesses as to how much? Plus whether it could ever be recouped?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Less a tourist draw and more a part of one man's exclusive hobby set. Given that the new track arrangement is now shorter and more convoluted with its as yet unapproved crossings, it makes one wonder how much of a "draw" they'll still be?

If one adds up whatever part of the Prom Budget that has been swallowed up by the trams specifically to most recent and perhaps projected losses for the trams - anybody want to hazard any guesses as to how much? Plus whether it could ever be recouped?

It wont be recouped if they have to change the bogeys on the horse trams and supply and intergrate batteries for the Electric tram. Got a feeling we might hear the bad news today in Tynwald that there will be no horse trams this year or even worse ! . 

So how much is it currently costing by not running the horse trams? I’m assuming the horses still have to be fed, I’m assuming they’d still need exercising/ongoing maintenance which isn’t cheap, I’ve no doubt the tramcars themselves will need maintenance and is probably done on a schedule like the rest of M.E.R. What about the staff? I know a lot were temporary seasonal contacts but for the ones that weren’t have they been redeployed to M.E.R or similar?

2 hours ago, Hoops said:

When you consider that the government seemingly won't intervene to ensure that wheat is grown, milled and bread is baked in the amounts needed to supply the island, and yet they will spunk millions upon millions on this.

That doesn't mean I'm against our heritage transport systems, btw, I just don't think the governm......oh, drop the illusion, the civil service has any, but any, sense of perspective. It is it's own function at this stage.

Anyway, back to the prom. It's a bit shit, isn't it?

Same here. I have time for the Groudle train. Great family visit and all run by volunteers. 

Trainspotters say there isn't enough volunteers to run the rest that way..  which is fine. Just close down what they can't run.

• Thanks 1