Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

36 minutes ago, NoTail said:

I would just like to hear a sitting MHK admit that the whole project is bollocks. A mess from start to where we are. When it's finished in 2 or 3 years it will still look crap.

It will never be truly finished because it’s like triggers broom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Banker said:

Walking along promenade today, they’ve tidying up play area & other parts & barriers to gardens removed from what I could see so now usable again 

Broadway bombsite makes up for it though.

14 hours ago, NoTail said:

I would just like to hear a sitting MHK admit that the whole project is bollocks. A mess from start to where we are. When it's finished in 2 or 3 years it will still look crap.

As with any project, from day one the project should have been project planned. Instead it took a rudderless ship approach, which can be rather advantageous to the contractor when there is a bottomless pit of government money available. 

I wish Minister Tim Crookall would stop using the word 'hopeful'.

IoM Today: Infrastructure minister says he isn’t hopeful horse trams will run

He's not up for the job of MHK and certainly not a Minister and most certainly not the currently shittiest shitty stick of Infrastructure Minister.. Come back fellow postie Cregie, all is forgiven.

ETA: every time he uses the word 'hopeful' there is another few £100,000 or so of taxpayers money goes into the contractor's pocket.

Edited by AOR
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AOR said:

He's not up for the job of MHK and certainly not a Minister and most certainly not the currently shittiest shitty stick of Infrastructure Minister.. Come back fellow postie Cregie, all is forgiven.

It’s good to see some highly relevant points made under that story though. Does IOM Newspapers moderate those pages? 

268EFCAC-3780-4BE9-AAA6-3134FD265EC9.jpeg

10 minutes ago, AOR said:

ETA: every time he uses the word 'hopeful' there is another few £100,000 or so of taxpayers money goes into the contractor's pocket.

I'm no fan I'd Crookall but anyone you put in the DOI hot seat would look like a bumbling buffoon. 

Under the circumstances he appears to be doing an 'alright' job. Unlike his predecessors (Harmer and Baker) he does actually appear to intervene in some of the wankerish behaviour that DOI try to impose... the latest example was him emailing Longworth and telling him to scrap the Castletown bypass bus interchange/skipper bus service... previous ministers would have just gone along with it and even defended it. 

He's asked serious questions of the horse trams within his department.. my understanding is he would like to scrap them but there's political pushback as it would make Government look even more clownish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AOR said:

As with any project, from day one the project should have been project planned. Instead it took a rudderless ship approach, which can be rather advantageous to the contractor when there is a bottomless pit of government money available. 

Ah, but according to Dim Tim yesterday in Tynwald, it was managed by professional project managers. Yes, Tim admitted they may have been incompetent, but at least they were professional incompetent project managers! What a relief!

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I'm no fan I'd Crookall but anyone you put in the DOI hot seat would look like a bumbling buffoon. 

Under the circumstances he appears to be doing an 'alright' job. Unlike his predecessors (Harmer and Baker) he does actually appear to intervene in some of the wankerish behaviour that DOI try to impose... 

The problem is that while all the idiots there still maintain employment they just make people like Tim look stupid. I agree with you he’s doing a better job than most of the others but in the Kingdom of the Blind the one-eyed man is King. He needs to start throwing a few people under their own busses. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

The problem is that while all the idiots there still maintain employment they just make people like Tim look stupid. I agree with you he’s doing a better job than most of the others but in the Kingdom of the Blind the one-eyed man is King. He needs to start throwing a few people under their own busses. 

He needs the backing of everyone from AC and the CS downwards and most are just staying out of it. I never forget when HQ was asked about the prom and just laughed with no comment . Says it all. Someone , someday has to get a grip of the Civil Service or we are in for a rough ride. And then theres there pensions !! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Ah, but according to Dim Tim yesterday in Tynwald, it was managed by professional project managers. Yes, Tim admitted they may have been incompetent, but at least they were professional incompetent project managers! What a relief!

I can't believe that. I'm not saying it is not true, I am just saying I cannot believe it.

I cannot believe it.

6 hours ago, Roxanne said:

And someone thinks Cregeen would do better and wants him to come back? He had years to do better and look what he left us with. Behave. 

Don't take my phrasing too literally. It was hyperbole for effect. But who was the best postie - Tim or Cregie?

I don't want to be mean to posties because I have found them to be generally a good sort, but what is it with these posties that seek to take up political office on this Island. That chap in Douglas, the Mayor fella was the last one I remember but there have been others.

9 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

Or perhaps not....

20210625_081202.jpg