Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

No.  Technically civil servants can retire at any age (it used to be 60), but when you get a pension (and especially a full pension) is another matter - and very well hidden.  But given that Robinson has worked for the government for less than 15 years, I would expect him to be hanging on for a while yet.

Copying numbers down doesn't make you an expert in engineering.  And not listening to advice from people who know better makes you an ignoramus in everything.

If you take pension before 65 you get an actuarial reduction on pension to take account of the fact you will be receiving your pension for longer 

19 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Didn't they have to modify the cabbage as well?

I am glad you mentioned that. This is a diesel-electric locomotive. As I understand things, the following items have failed or been replaced:
Engine, cooling system, fuel tank, gearboxes, electric motors, wheels, steel wheel tyres, suspension springs, brake system.
The items that have not failed are:
electrical generator, windscreen wiper motor, drivers seat.

19 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

because he wanted to run electric trams down it

Somewhere in the FoI responses is the note that the intention is to run a battery-powered light rail system. That cannot be just for Derby Castle to the War Memorial. You might have noticed that there is significant work being done to install welded rail and concrete sleepers on the MER - in spite of the fact that ordinary rail and wooden sleepers lasted a good few years running the MER trams.

You also might note the drawing for Ramsey Transport Interchange shows the tracks making a 90 degree turn so that it terminates directly opposite Peel Street. The reason for that is that Longworth wants to extend the trams to run down Peel Street/Parliament Street.

And you think the prom. is a screw-up.

24 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Didn't they have to modify the cabbage as well? What a roaring success that was. When will enough be enough and IL get the boot. All the delays on the prom caused because he wanted to run electric trams down it without the infrastructure to do it. 

Thats exactly what the problem is IMO . plus the rails are actually wrong hence the issues with the points. It will all have to be revealed soon I'd say. Hope I'm wrong as I love the horse trams but I reckon there history due to wrong gaps in the rails . And yes they did alter the Cabbage big time and still its not in service !!  Quote !!

Director of Public Transport Ian Longworth said: 11 December 2013 ‘The arrival of the new locomotive went very smoothly. The plan the Railways’ team put together went perfectly to schedule and the American engineers will arrive tomorrow to start the commissioning process.’ 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Haha 1

Crookall doesn't like the scheme but it's not scrapped, yet! Maybe the 400k is the latest estimate increase?

Someone at the DoI doesn't seem to understand the concept of 'Active Travel'? It is to use your legs , walking, running or cycling to get from A to B. That entails going up and down hills not having an otherwise useless bridge built over a valley?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Wasn't this also all to do with the blurring of budgetary lines over "highways" and "footpaths"?

Although some Depts and people love a bit of blurring...

It’s probably more to do with the cycling lobby harping on about active travel and he’s been boxed into a corner. Tynwalds chief cycling wet-lettuce Rob Mercer seems to very vocal on these sort of empty things that cost money if it means one more person might use their bike for half an hour.