Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

4 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Unique in that a quick google only showed 11 others that actually still run.

I presume you're referring to the Wiki article which lists twelve in total, but looking at those only the ones in Pakistan (perhaps, there's little information) and the Isle of Man seem to have existed more or less continuously.  All the others are modern inventions (such as various Disney ones) or were revived after many decades of disuse (such as the German and Australian ones).  So it is pretty unique.

The fact that Disney and others have actually sought to reinvent such things might hint at their tourist potential.

• Like 1

It's unlikely that our current tourists require a trip on the Horse Trams anymore that they require a deckchair on a crowded Douglas beach, with or without the traditional knotted hankie as a sun shield!!!

A good number of our 'tourists' are actually visiting relatives, still valuable to our economy but more interested in the grand kids, the pubs and restaurants.

However, they are  more likely to take the kids to Heritage sites than their parents? After all, the parents have seen it all before???

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I presume you're referring to the Wiki article which lists twelve in total, but looking at those only the ones in Pakistan (perhaps, there's little information) and the Isle of Man seem to have existed more or less continuously.  All the others are modern inventions (such as various Disney ones) or were revived after many decades of disuse (such as the German and Australian ones).  So it is pretty unique.

The fact that Disney and others have actually sought to reinvent such things might hint at their tourist potential.

It's either unique or it's not. 

Spoiler alert: it's not unique. 

• Haha 2

On 4/30/2022 at 8:25 PM, Nellie said:

Rob Mercer, who has never stood for election, never faced a popular vote, never issued a manifesto, or explained what he stands for.

Yet we pay him £60k per year to simply pursue his own personal hobby-horses.

The man epitomises all that is wrong with our system of government.

Listening to Mercers meltdown on the radio this morning reminded me of a small child stamping it’s feet. He thinks it’s morally wrong that we can allow a private business to see if we could secure our own gas supply for the next generation at the height of the biggest squeeze on natural gas prices in a generation. The man is a petulant clown. The last think we need if some hair-shirt wally like that being paid £60K a year to preach to us. We already have the Bishop!

• Like 4

Off topic regarding the prom but looking at the "Wish you were here" extract above I found this on Youtube and thought it was actually quite a good video and made the island look good.

Can't the Tourist Board (or whatever it's now called) get more of this sort of thing arranged with different vloggers?  If I were about 40 years younger and knew nothing about the IoM I'd think that video quite interesting.

Looking at the comments, people who did know nothing about the island enjoyed it.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2022 at 8:25 PM, Nellie said:

Rob Mercer, who has never stood for election, never faced a popular vote, never issued a manifesto, or explained what he stands for.

Yet we pay him £60k per year to simply pursue his own personal hobby-horses.

The man epitomises all that is wrong with our system of government.

More absolute BS from the second unelected preacher in Legco.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/mlc-unhappy-with-govt-policy

10 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What does he mean that the island transitioned long ago?  Are all the wind turbines and solar panels hidden? 

I have no idea. The man is a complete knob. What a great job to have getting £60K a year to pursue your hobby as an eco idiot. 

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What does he mean that the island transitioned long ago?  Are all the wind turbines and solar panels hidden? 

No, Gladys, he means that as gas is a transition fuel, cleaner than coal or oil, and most of our electric is gas generated, …