Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 hours ago, Boris Johnson said:

It has far less capacity now.

If you remember it had 4 lanes, 2 each direction between Gaiety and Villa, now it has 2 lanes.............

And has now duly channelled all its traffic into Glencrutchery/St Ninians/Woodbourne and Bucks Rds, creating longer tailbacks in those areas.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Lord street, prospect hill, woodbourne road, glancrutchery road?

The prom is obviously not designed to be a main thoroughfare, in fact it’s designed to discourage it.  So what not just us the roads that are?

If you are walking or cycling then use the prom.  If not use one of the many other routes unless you actually need to go to one of the businesses on the prom.

Its a promenade.  Not a main road  

The Prom is an A road. Therefore it's literally a main road.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bandits said:

Which is totally idiotic. One of the sunniest days of the year today. Hardly anyone out walking or cycling on the prom. Place was almost completely empty. No tourists. No trams. Just cars crawling at 10mph between completely dangerous informal road crossings because the whole thing is an enormous waste of time cluster**** 

Well I was walking along & there were plenty of others out walking as well as the usual annoying cyclists weaving in & out.

I would never use the promenade as a main road to anywhere & most only use it if going to strand street area or sea terminal 

5 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

If you are walking or cycling then use the prom.  If not use one of the many other routes unless you actually need to go to one of the businesses on the prom.

Its a promenade.  Not a main road  

It's called the Promenade (actually a succession of differently named ones) because it has a wide area designed for leisurely walking to one side of it.  That doesn't mean the actual road should only be used for walking any more than Victoria Road should only be for the use of people called Victoria.

5 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

They don’r want people to use it as a main route.  That is obvious by the way it is designed and I am sure I remember them actually saying so a few years back.

I genuinely don't think they had any plans for what to do with the Prom except to give themselves a Nice Big Project so they could spend lots on money and make it look like they were really busy.   Everything they looks like it was thought up in a panic at last minute and perhaps dressed up with a few catchphrases they've half-remembered from the trade press, but not even begun to understand.

I do think at one stage they suddenly realised that they had accidentally made the road much faster (because of removing the central horse trams/parking) and that this was not a good idea and then started clogging it up with random rubbish.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

I would never use the promenade as a main road to anywhere & most only use it if going to strand street area or sea terminal 

Well let's face it.  No one is going to want to go to the Island's main shopping street or its main port or where the main entertainment complex is.  And all the people who live in the east of Onchan and in the Broadway/Victoria Road areas will definitely prefer to get to the main  part of Douglas by as circuitous as route as possible. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Well let's face it.  No one is going to want to go to the Island's main shopping street or its main port or where the main entertainment complex is.  And all the people who live in the east of Onchan and in the Broadway/Victoria Road areas will definitely prefer to get to the main  part of Douglas by as circuitous as route as possible. 

What’s classed as east Onchan? Just go along glencrutchery road & down Broadway or Victoria rd no need to drive all along promenade if you don’t wish to other than to complain it’s slow!!

• Like 1

East Onchan / coastal Onchan / Garff maybe?

i always go along the prom to town, B&Q, Robinson’s, airport etc. Far easier and quicker than heading up to the village and glencrutchery road and quarterbridge. 

Edited by The Old Git
  • Like 1

I don’t know what the prom is for any more. You used to be able to park fairly easily to pop into the shops. Not now. There are not enough parking spaces. If you want to ‘promenade’ and you don’t live close enough, you need to park somewhere. The parking spaces are too narrow. The road is too narrow. There is too much extraneous street furniture. The crossings are ambiguous. The Heras fencing is reminiscent of the internment camps. The railway tracks are unfinished and the bottom of Broadway looks like a war zone. The multiple colours of paving and concrete are ugly and stupid and the dog shit doesn’t help. It’s supposed to be the gateway to the island. It would be funny if it wasn’t so wank. 

Edited by Itsmeee
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Itsmeee said:

I don’t know what the prom is for any more. You used to be able to park fairly easily to pop into the shops. Not now. There are not enough parking spaces. If you want to ‘promenade’ and you don’t live close enough, you need to park somewhere. The parking spaces are too narrow. The road is too narrow. There is too much extraneous street furniture. The crossings are ambiguous. The Heras fencing is reminiscent of the internment camps. The railway tracks are unfinished and the bottom of Broadway looks like a war zone. The multiple colours of paving and concrete are ugly and stupid and the dog shit doesn’t help. It’s supposed to be the gateway to the island. It would be funny if it wasn’t so wank. 

I park at sea terminal, allowed an hour if you just want to go to boots or M&S etc for a few things.

Also if you want to walk along promenade, park over Summerhill road area , normally loads of spaces there & not in disc zone 

3 hours ago, Banker said:

I park at sea terminal, allowed an hour if you just want to go to boots or M&S etc for a few things.

You’re allowed an hour if you go to Costa or use the other facilities. You are not allowed an hour to walk into town. And yes they do check as I’ve had loads of arguments with eager traffic controllers down there. I’ve often been asked to provide a copy of a Costa receipt. 

6 minutes ago, Bandits said:

You’re allowed an hour if you go to Costa or use the other facilities. You are not allowed an hour to walk into town. And yes they do check as I’ve had loads of arguments with eager traffic controllers down there. I’ve often been asked to provide a copy of a Costa receipt. 

Never had an issue in many years doing it, I could just say I was getting something from Welcome centre as I do occasionally 

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

You do not have to provide them with a receipt or anything else. Unless they observed you walking back from town they have no justification in issuing a ticket. It is not up to an individual to prove innocence.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

No you couldn’t.  You are very lucky not to have had a ticket as you aren’t allowed to do you you have apparently been doing for many years.

2 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

You do not have to provide them with a receipt or anything else. Unless they observed you walking back from town they have no justification in issuing a ticket. It is not up to an individual to prove innocence.

Just walk in through the side door and out the front door. Then come back through the front door when you're done in town. 

If they ask what you've been doing tell them you were meeting DOI management to complain about officious traffic wardens.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, manxman34 said:

Regardless most of them are absolute twats so producing a receipt is an easier argument than trying to talk logic with them or asking them to be reasonable in any way as they aren’t. 

Edited by Bandits