Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

I believe he was present.

Could he not have been driving buses to prevent today's cancellations? 

Public Transport (buses) needs to be stripped and separated from the toy trains.

I think it was him. But only had him pointed out to me once .

4 minutes ago, asitis said:

Remind me again how many millions it has cost, and how much inconvenience it has caused, to get this far in installing this loss making enterprise ?

£7m spent so far on just the trams. 

The cost of the new points and track at Broadway has still yet to be confirmed. 

Then DOI may ask for a further £3.5m to extend to the Sea Terminal. 

On top of that we have the C.£750,000 they lose each year. 

ETA: 

Interestingly the DOI have not been able to provide an expected loss figure for the heritage railways this year. 

So essentially a timetable was drawn up with tour parties booked at £X Per ticket - yet they have no business plan on how much cash payer's tax they expect to lose altogether. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, asitis said:

Remind me again how many millions it has cost, and how much inconvenience it has caused, to get this far in installing this loss making enterprise ?

Its just mindblowing incompetence . Right from commencment of the project its been one cockup after another and seemingly no effort to make sure no more cock ups occurred. Now this with seemingly a massive issue with the horse tram wheels and still issues with the points. Nobody , apart from the public , seems to give a toss. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

£7m spent so far on just the trams. 

The cost of the new points and track at Broadway has still yet to be confirmed. 

Then DOI may ask for a further £3.5m to extend to the Sea Terminal. 

On top of that we have the C.£750,000 they lose each year. 

It’s a disgusting joke. But again the only action is that Nick Black got to leave with a massive bag of cash. When that’s the worst that can happen it really is a culture that encourages the most disgusting behaviour. Same with Greehow I bet the meeting took 15 minutes - ok what you going to pay me to leave in the least embarrassing way to us both on the basis that I know where all the skeletons are? Yes that will do nicely. Bye. 

• Like 5

It's probably also worth noting that what they've built at Broadway doesn't appear to match what they have planning permission for... 

Wouldn't it be a shame if, as they get so close to getting ready to run, someone were to ask planning to interject.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's probably also worth noting that what they've built at Broadway doesn't appear to match what they have planning permission for... 

Wouldn't it be a shame if, as they get so close to getting ready to run, someone were to ask planning to interject.

You really are Observant it's been nothing like the planning for at least a year

15 minutes ago, alpha-acid said:

You really are Observant it's been nothing like the planning for at least a year

Wouldnt be the first time that Government put in for retrospective planning and of course get it approved .

And yes its gone way of plans in many areas.

Edited by Numbnuts

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Cant argue with that. As always its working fine but because we have degrees and VIP in DOI lets reinvent it .! My guess is its the bogies will be changed as Longworth has already mentioned it , see quote from him earlier I posted. 

However if the bogies are changed to the MER gauge, then there will be even less likelihood of the fixed set design negotiating the curve (omg when the points arrive) as clearly the rubbing and scraping is due to alternate clearance between the front and rear sets only afforded by the wider gauge track. So the trams will likely need to have steerable jockey wheels (per steam trains) and so the trams themselves will be useless. 

7 hours ago, english zloty said:

However if the bogies are changed to the MER gauge, then there will be even less likelihood of the fixed set design negotiating the curve (omg when the points arrive) as clearly the rubbing and scraping is due to alternate clearance between the front and rear sets only afforded by the wider gauge track. So the trams will likely need to have steerable jockey wheels (per steam trains) and so the trams themselves will be useless. 

the gauge is the same 3 feet on the MER , horse trams and steam railway ,  only the snaefell mountain railway is a different gauge at 3 feet 6 inches.  the issue is the wheel profile and the clearances required for the flanges , as i understand it they have used the larger track clearances for the MER wheel sets on the tramway and the tram wheels have too much clearance to work correctly.

• Like 1