Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

10 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

The problem Is the initial suggestion to treat them as roundabout by Tim nice but dim.  The whole scheme should have always been pushed as a shared space where nobody has priority

no, the problem is the whole thing should have been roundabouts or traffic lights from the start with none of this shared space guess who has  right of way bullshit so the locals at least had a chance of using the road correctly.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It’s working now. The traffic is flowing far better than when there were traffic lights. 

Driver hesitancy is an issue that slows traffic flow right down. A well designed roundabout would have been preferable. 

I've noticed they've packed up the work site at Summerland so I guess that means it's now 'finished'?

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

It’s working now. The traffic is flowing far better than when there were traffic lights. 

Oh I agree, but making it 'filter in turn' takes some of the ambiguity away for those who don't understand the concept of an unmarked junction. Saying that, you'd probably still get people not understanding filter in turn. 

4 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Oh I agree, but making it 'filter in turn' takes some of the ambiguity away for those who don't understand the concept of an unmarked junction. Saying that, you'd probably still get people not understanding filter in turn. 

Wouldn't filter lanes then make it a marked junction?

1 hour ago, Itsmeee said:

I cannot believe how much fuss people are making about the roundels. But then, I suppose the standard of driving on the IOM is so poor, I shouldn’t really be surprised. 

But if the standard is piss poor (and it is) why design something that’s going to add to the confusion and cause further hesitation in the first place?

Went over this morning and bikes are just assuming right of way, seeing as these are some of the more vulnerable road users I do wonder if the new Highway Code changes are starting to come into play here.

1 hour ago, Youaintseenme said:

Every time you mention “right of way” you have exemplified why they don’t work for you.

Right of way doesn’t exist.  Ditch the idea of “right of way” and you might start to get it

i sometimes wonder why stop signs and give ways were ever invented ??

3 hours ago, Itsmeee said:

I cannot believe how much fuss people are making about the roundels. But then, I suppose the standard of driving on the IOM is so poor, I shouldn’t really be surprised. 

Why is that then?  Is your driving noticeably better than everybody  else.  Just wondering. 

Edited by emesde
Spelling
  • Haha 2