Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

1 minute ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

Out of twenty I'll hazard at least one will. 

Not really. We're not in the 1960s. Vertically split crankcases etc.

Bikes are more sound these days and are subject to MOT. And I would hope that especially for TT the owners will have fettled their machinery.

16 minutes ago, AOR said:

Not really. We're not in the 1960s. Vertically split crankcases etc.

Bikes are more sound these days and are subject to MOT. And I would hope that especially for TT the owners will have fettled their machinery.

A good proportion were German so I guess @Amadeus will excuse their parking there as a tradition:D

• Haha 1

I don't think it is true to say that there is NOT a 'right of way'. We are used to the r o w at roundabouts, give way to the right or those on the roundabout! We cannot forget that 'rule' in our heads!

The roundels are wide and open spaces, there is plenty of sight of others, at Broadway, the only problem might arise if someone heading south were speeding and usurped a Broadway driver?

There are rules for 'unmanned' crossings, something about crossing or turning, seems logical.

18 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I don't think it is true to say that there is NOT a 'right of way'. We are used to the r o w at roundabouts, give way to the right or those on the roundabout! We cannot forget that 'rule' in our heads!

The roundels are wide and open spaces, there is plenty of sight of others, at Broadway, the only problem might arise if someone heading south were speeding and usurped a Broadway driver?

There are rules for 'unmanned' crossings, something about crossing or turning, seems logical.

The expression right of way has been used lots and everyone knows what is meant. However no one ever has total right of way but does have a greater or lesser priority. So that even if you are  hit by a driver going through a red light you may bear some responsibility depending on the circumstances. 

• Like 1

So if anyone asks about this strip of wasteland along Douglas prom, that’s actually the Enduro Bike Parking Area, specially created so they feel right at home. The DoI can have that as press release for free :) 

43DF765C-31EE-4B70-A511-E6EAAD6CCBB0.jpeg

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Annoymouse said:

Do bikers not have any respect? How dare they park on top of those beautiful wild flowers.

I don’t think it has actually been planted , except with dog shit, bottles and cans.

The wildflower planting I have seen in many UK cities look really nice, but of course need maintenance and care to keep them that way, something that is not a DOI strongpoint.

• Like 5

Just now, ellanvannin2010 said:

I don’t think it has actually been planted , except with dog shit, bottles and cans.

The wildflower planting I have seen in many UK cities look really nice, but of course need maintenance and care to keep them that way, something that is not a DOI strongpoint.

Apparently weeds are wild flowers and this patch is a meadow,, to be fair they aren’t parked on the pavement so good luck ticketing them.

15 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

Do bikers not have any respect? How dare they park on top of those beautiful wild flowers.

It they're asked nicely or bribed with a few tinnies, they might rotovate it too.

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

So if anyone asks about this strip of wasteland along Douglas prom, that’s actually the Enduro Bike Parking Area, specially created so they feel right at home. The DoI can have that as press release for free :) 

43DF765C-31EE-4B70-A511-E6EAAD6CCBB0.jpeg

Scum!

• Haha 1