Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

few motorcycles parked on the seaward side of the prom opposite the Gaiety  ,  not on what could be called the footpath ,  doing no harm , and you know they are safe there , you cant expect to treat motorcyclists as second class citizens ,  if you want the TT to be  success  then there is a big welcome back and PR job to be done , they have made a big effort to get here , lets do the same to make them welcome and feel at home , and the Government to apply some common sense !

• Like 7

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

few motorcycles parked on the seaward side of the prom opposite the Gaiety  ,  not on what could be called the footpath ,  doing no harm , and you know they are safe there , you cant expect to treat motorcyclists as second class citizens ,  if you want the TT to be  success  then there is a big welcome back and PR job to be done , they have made a big effort to get here , lets do the same to make them welcome and feel at home , and the Government to apply some common sense !

Yeah, let's just ignore the rules for 3 weeks or so.

12 hours ago, Omobono said:

they have made a big effort to get here , lets do the same to make them welcome and feel at home

So should Liverpool Council have paid for our terminal to welcome us to their City?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah, let's just ignore the rules for 3 weeks or so.

its called amending  the rules to deal with  an impending situation , just where do you or the DOI expect these motorcyclists to park when the new all singing  and dancing futuristic promenade  has only  28 legitimate motorcycle parking spaces , another  lesson to be learned  in the DOI ,

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Kopek said:

So should Liverpool Council have paid for our terminal to welcome us to their City?

Of course they should. Or at least a good chunk of it. 

I remember the  council at the time elated by the strong links between them and the iom. Working in harmony. 

What they  meant was. Show us the size of your wallet...... Cus we know ways to empty it. 😊 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, emesde said:

Of course they should. Or at least a good chunk of it. 

I remember the  council at the time elated by the strong links between them and the iom. Working in harmony. 

What they  meant was. Show us the size of your wallet...... Cus we know ways to empty it. 😊 

Laa!

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, emesde said:

Less showing them the wallet and more just handing it over. Along with the account details and the PIN.

2 hours ago, Youaintseenme said:

Correct.  Especially when breaking them does absolutely no harm to anyone.

It is embarrassing the neither DOI or Douglas Shitty Council had the foresight to set aside part of the area by the war memorial and on the walkway as temporary bike parking.  Ideally with a shuttle bus to and from the grandstand to take traffic off the narrow roads up there.

I'll use those excuses next time I go to London and park on Trafalgar square. I'll say;

1. Come on, I have made a great effort to get here and,

2. Why have you made room for me.

For God sake there are loads of places to park including 2 multi story carparks that are half empty on evening and weekends. On top of that the whole of nobles park. 

Sorry. I'm just not buying it. They are bone idle and should be moved on. They wouldn't be allowed to do it in their own towns and cities. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Roxanne said:

Oh stop it. 

They want to park close to where they’re staying. To keep an eye on their bikes and to save walking a mile and back in leathers in the sun currying panniers and rucksacks.

Bikes have parked on the pavement at TT for years despite it normally not being allowed. It’s one of the great spectacles of the TT. Bikers and non bikers walking along and looking at the different machines.

I can’t believe that after 3/4 years of complaining about the balls up of the promenade refurbishment that some are now whining about ‘the poor pavements’. 

I have to be honest and partially agree. However some are taking it too far and being totally inconsiderate. If a group deliberately block the footpath so that children, old people and disabled people have to start walking on the road (where bikes are hurtling up and down) then in my view that's too much. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I can’t believe that after 3/4 years of complaining about the balls up of the promenade refurbishment that some are now whining about ‘the poor pavements’. 

Maybe they know just how poor the pavements are.

But the whole thing is an evitable side effect of all their 'shared space' rhetoric.  If you're not saying what bits of the Prom are supposed to be used for or who has priority, then people are entitled to do whatever they want.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Maybe they know just how poor the pavements are.

But the whole thing is an evitable side effect of all their 'shared space' rhetoric.  If you're not saying what bits of the Prom are supposed to be used for or who has priority, then people are entitled to do whatever they want.

9 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

You can’t park a bike in a multi storey. There are no bike spaces and nowhere to display a ticket or disc.  

there is absolutely no reason why they can’t park on that massive walkway when there is nowhere else they can park

For the record. I have no issue with them parking on the walkway. I agree, there is plenty of space there. It's when they park/ride onto normal pavements with no thought for pedestrians. 

Happened to me and the missus yesterday in town. Made me grumpy. Lazy, thoughtless, arrogant, ignorant bastards. 

Yeah, I know they are not all like that.

2 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Who sorted the weeds out?

Was it common sense or has a vigilante lawnmower crew been down.

Either way it still looks a bit pants because it should be a proper surface or turf but at least it looks better than what it was last week

If it was,  a wild flower meadow, then it should not be cut til the end of August, so do you think they lied when they said it was a wild flower area?.

For the record imo it should have been part of the road or the trams that they promised and got money for, not the dog shit, cans, beer bottle corridor it is now

• Like 1