Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

23 minutes ago, WTF said:

What a disaster! 

But at least they only spent 23 thousand on their disaster. We've spent at least 23 million and it's still no where near finished 😕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

PAC likely to investigate Prom failures

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/public-deserves-to-know-what-went-wrong-on-douglas-prom-says-minister/

I bet we see a DHSC-esque exit of DOI civil servants before this even takes place.

Hopefully to include Longworth whose ego far outstrips his skillsets and his ability to stop himself interfering in matters he clearly knows little about.

ETA. This will see the PAC investigating not one but two of the DOI's "flagship" projects, the other being the Liverpool Terminal debacle. It must be squeaky bum time in the Sea Terminal offices...

Edited by Non-Believer
extra bit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Hopefully to include Longworth whose ego far outstrips his skillsets and his ability to stop himself interfering in matters he clearly knows little about.

ETA. This will see the PAC investigating not one but two of the DOI's "flagship" projects, the other being the Liverpool Terminal debacle. It must be squeaky bum time in the Sea Terminal offices...

Unless they bring in some independent  capital project advisors  to the enquiry it will be another sham investigation  by a toothless Tynwald committee , who will never apportion blame or single  out  companies or consultants out who have obviously  been  incompetent ,  or worse, poorly briefed  by idiots in the department , who also failed to make sure  the work was carried out to proper standards and quality control   the Manx taxpayer will be paying for these  cock ups for generations ,

• Thanks 1

I doubt any committee meeting will achieve anything. The DoI problems are obvious and longstanding but no politician has done anything. Isle of Man coin machines not available - no problem. Reynolds going into a committee meeting and saying "I have no idea" - no problem.
The latest piece of DoI granite and plate glass art installation is by the Shore Hotel in Laxey.  It is a 3 foot high wall, but is above the level of the bridge so if the water level is that high the bridge will form a dam. I assume the DoI have computed that the ensuing reservoir area has sufficient capacity.

18 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I doubt any committee meeting will achieve anything. The DoI problems are obvious and longstanding but no politician has done anything. Isle of Man coin machines not available - no problem. Reynolds going into a committee meeting and saying "I have no idea" - no problem.

The problem has always been that CoMin has always blocked recommendations from Tynwald Committees if they dared to criticise the civil servants or lessen their power.  With Departmental Members and a few MHK/MLC 'trusties' there have usually been enough votes to delete any reforming recommendations and replace them with the assertion that everything was wonderful.

Even in the last Keys this was starting to become harder for them as LegCo stopped being the Home of Rest for Old MHKs and now both CoMin and Keys may be less protective of the egos of the civil service.  We shall see over the next few months.

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The problem has always been that CoMin has always blocked recommendations from Tynwald Committees if they dared to criticise the civil servants or lessen their power.

It's open season on Civil Servants at present. 

36 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

It won’t make any difference. The bridge clearance is far too low (compared to the old one)

It would seem that your engineering expertise is suspect:

"The chosen design, inspired by the 'pepper pot' lighthouses at Laxey harbour, will be able to handle nearly three times the volume of water than the original bridge."

... unless there is now more than 3 times the previous flood water volume.

[ The pepper pots still amuse me - the artist (he surely is not an engineer) who designed the bridge described them as "objects which playfully reference existing aspects of the harbour" ]