Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

59 minutes ago, AOR said:

It's ok, it's Kopek. He goes a bit more off the wall around this time of night..

ETA:

Although to be fair he has a point. That 20mph roadworks sign should be for oncoming traffic on the left

It’s in a 20mph zone anyway and construction has never fully stopped so it’s just more unnecessary signage.

11 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

It's dreadful. They have to to it up after TT. Watch Longworth put the horsetrams on next week.

Do we know if the PAC review into this project and the Liverpool Terminal intends to look at the potential of fraudulent activities or procurement processes? Most people are flabbergasted at the appalling quality of everything done. Given the project cost was over £20 million you have to wonder why such sub standard materials and finishes seem to have been used. Also given that development fraud is rife in Liverpool (the European capital of development fraud) it seems logical that a substantial part of any PAC review should be to establish whether any fraudulent activities may have taken place to bump the price from £30 million to well over £70 million. 

39 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Do we know if the PAC review into this project and the Liverpool Terminal intends to look at the potential of fraudulent activities or procurement processes? Most people are flabbergasted at the appalling quality of everything done. Given the project cost was over £20 million you have to wonder why such sub standard materials and finishes seem to have been used. Also given that development fraud is rife in Liverpool (the European capital of development fraud) it seems logical that a substantial part of any PAC review should be to establish whether any fraudulent activities may have taken place to bump the price from £30 million to well over £70 million. 

I genuinely don't believe there was any fraud that took place on either the Promenade or Liverpool Terminal.

What happened was incompetence on an industrial scale the like of which the Island has never seen before. We know from the Beamans report that the DOI is not qualified or capable of overseeing such projects - hell they don't even know how many so-called engineers they employ or what their actual qualifications are. 

The Promenade scheme went wrong the second that Ray Harmer took the reins at DOI Towers. He was told by professionals that the scheme could not be completed within the timescale that he pushed for. He was told that the scheme should have been done in sections rather than digging up the entire thing at once. All of this was ignored so he could gain some short-term political capital. Then Baker came along and the civil servants ran rings around him - money was taken out of the budget and used for parts of the Prom they had overspent on (as far as I can tell without Tynwald approval - so perhaps fraudulent?) he then spent 6-12 months shouting at Manx Radio and Paul Moulton that the GMP "simply don't understand how complex and difficult this is" (the interview that ended his political career). Then we've got Tim Crookall who is just hopeful. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Kopek said:

..... the 20 mph sign is on the right hand side of the road because...............Chermans!!!

Links Fahren sonst knallts 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Omobono said:

the standard of workmanship is disgraceful and the government should with hold  payment  if this is the best they can do,  then , they should be removed from the government list of contractors,

Who was the contractor ? 

2 hours ago, 0bserver said:

I genuinely don't believe there was any fraud that took place on either the Promenade or Liverpool Terminal.

People said that in respect of Dr Ranson. We now find that forged documents were presented to the Court. Which is fraud. I’m suggesting that it should naturally be part of any PAC investigation. I’m not saying fraud happened but you would expect a project that is now nearly three times over budget and heading for nearly £100 million in a known hotspot for development contract fraud should be investigated for potential fraudulent activity anyway as part of any PAC review. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

People said that in respect of Dr Ranson. We now find that forged documents were presented to the Court. Which is fraud. I’m suggesting that it should naturally be part of any PAC investigation. I’m not saying fraud happened but you would expect a project that is now nearly three times over budget and heading for nearly £100 million in a known hotspot for development contract fraud should be investigated for potential fraudulent activity anyway as part of any PAC review. 

100% agree that it should be investigated and any possibility of fraud and corruption should be looked at. 

I just think the scale of incompetence within DOI is not fully recognised. 

• Like 3