Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I believe that (in the UK at least) a Zebra crossing has to look like the diagram below.  If it doesn't, it isn't a Zebra crossing and the rules applicable to Zebra crossings don't apply.  And common sense probably doesn't apply either...

uksi_19972400_en_001.gif

There was reference in some of the MyProm minutes to redesigning some standards as they couldn't meet the current ones. 

4 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

People said that in respect of Dr Ranson. We now find that forged documents were presented to the Court. Which is fraud...

I may have missed something, but do we already know that the documents in question were forged?  I thought that so far the Tribunal had only identified certain "inconsistencies" in some documents like meeting minutes etc. and that they were yet to conduct an investigation into the documents disclosed by DHSC?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I may have missed something, but do we already know that the documents in question were forged?  I thought that so far the Tribunal had only identified certain "inconsistencies" in some documents like meeting minutes etc. and that they were yet to conduct an investigation into the documents disclosed by DHSC?

Dress it up how you like Dr Ranson's lawyer, Oliver Segal QC, claimed minutes from a meeting in 2020 were concocted, as the meta data on the file showed it had been created just a few weeks ago. Tribunal chairman Douglas Stewart said the tribunal panel would typically look to refer forged documents to the police.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/tribunal-files-could-be-referred-to-police-after-forgery-allegations/

I don't think a lawyer's claim in submissions to a tribunal that documents had been concocted, and a statement from the chair of that tribunal that they would typically look to refer forged documents to the police, is quite the same as conclusively saying "We now find that forged documents were presented to the Court". 

It's not a case of dressing it up how you like, it's a case of accurately stating what is known.

And as the article you quote says, the tribunal has yet to investigate the issues around disclosure (or non-disclosure)

It's the wrong thread for that discussion anyway...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

I don't think a lawyer's claim in submissions to a tribunal that documents had been concocted, and a statement from the chair of that tribunal that they would typically look to refer forged documents to the police, is quite the same as conclusively saying "We now find that forged documents were presented to the Court". 

Why is it all still sub judice then? And why has the head of HR ‘resigned’? The documents are clearly being investigated for forgery amongst other things. 

12 minutes ago, Wavey Davey said:

Why is it all still sub judice then? And why has the head of HR ‘resigned’? The documents are clearly being investigated for forgery amongst other things. 

Personally I think "Why is it all sub judice then?" is a very good question.  I think there might be two possible answers.  The first might be that I think there is (or was) still time for the DHSC to lodge an appeal against the tribunal judgement.  The second might be that the tribunal has yet to start its investigation into any shenanigans that may - or may not - have gone on in relation to disclosure.  In either of these cases the matter might remain sub judice.

If you have read the full decision of the Tribunal you could not have failed to notice that there was a whole litany of government failings - not necessarily relating to the possible forgery of documents - in this case that would on their own justify the resignation of the head of HR and possibly other senior civil servants.

Just because it's all still judice and various government officers have resigned because they accept they've done something wrong doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that documents were forged. 

Although any investigation might find that they were.  But that hasn't happened yet...

27 minutes ago, Ghost Ship said:

Just because it's all still judice and various government officers have resigned because they accept they've done something wrong doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that documents were forged. 

Although any investigation might find that they were.  But that hasn't happened yet...

its a bit like fat howard telling us there was no covid on the island when he knew there was but the local test results weren't in yet .  its like it isn't true till i say its true.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wavey Davey said:

Do we know if the PAC review into this project and the Liverpool Terminal intends to look at the potential of fraudulent activities or procurement processes? Most people are flabbergasted at the appalling quality of everything done. Given the project cost was over £20 million you have to wonder why such sub standard materials and finishes seem to have been used. Also given that development fraud is rife in Liverpool (the European capital of development fraud) it seems logical that a substantial part of any PAC review should be to establish whether any fraudulent activities may have taken place to bump the price from £30 million to well over £70 million. 

Well as sure as shit it can't be termed a "cost overrun" !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

I just think the scale of incompetence within DOI is not fully recognised. 

I think it is. We just don't have anybody with the balls to do anything about it.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Sausages said:

The zebra crossing outside the Sefton is really badly designed. Cars can park right next to it, and they block the drivers’ view of any pedestrians waiting to cross.

Well done to everyone involved.

Empress not Sefton. Though that too.

Edited by Mr. Sausages

31 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Very entertaining watching UK/EU vehicles trying to negotiate the roundels. Some take a circular track (as if it was a roundabout) only to be cut up by others taking a straight track across it. 

I wonder which of his categories Philip Larkin would place roundels in? 

“You have to distinguish between things that seemed odd when they were new but are now quite familiar, such as Ibsen and Wagner, and things that seemed crazy when they were new and seem crazy now, like ‘Finnegans Wake’ and Picasso.”