Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Just seen a couple of kids nearly run over on the courtesy crossings by the Villa by a biker who had no idea as there aren’t any zig zag lines. It really is insane that layout. You can see something bad happening before the week is out. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bandits said:

Just seen a couple of kids nearly run over on the courtesy crossings by the Villa by a biker who had no idea as there aren’t any zig zag lines. It really is insane that layout. You can see something bad happening before the week is out. 

There was a couple of young kids (10 ish) playing chicken with the traffic on them last weekend!

12 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Kids, and adults shouldn’t be stepping into any crossing never mind a pretend one until all traffic in both directions has stopped (or there is t any)

I think my kids were about 4 when they were taught that.  Just because it’s a crossing doesn’t mean you just step out.  Make eye contact and wait for the traffic to stop.

There's no ifs or buts about it. You give way to a pedestrian once they're on the crossing.

Screenshot_20220602-172802_OneDrive.jpg

Edited by 0bserver

23 minutes ago, Youaintseenme said:

Kids, and adults shouldn’t be stepping into any crossing never mind a pretend one until all traffic in both directions has stopped (or there is t any)

They don’t know it’s a pretend one as funnily enough normally when you see a zebra crossing anywhere else in the world it’s a zebra crossing. It’s only here we seem to like dangerous fantasy crossings that have no basis in road traffic law in order to lull you into a completely false sense of security

Your trolling is poor today. 

Edited by Bandits
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Youaintseenme said:

I am not trolling.  Even on a light controlled crossing you would have to be off your head to just step out and assume that people are going to stop.

Go down there and see how many people actually do that in half an hour because they think that it is actually a crossing. You can’t blame people for moronic DOI installations that shouldn’t even exist. 

Just now, Youaintseenme said:

Just to add.  On the prom this afternoon on one of the “proper crossings.

Traffic stopped both ways and I still hesitated and checked both ways for bikes coming done the outside on th red concrete.

Even though there are rules that people should adhere to it never does any harm to take some personal responsibility and double check.

I'll get you one day...

• Haha 7

52 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

There's no ifs or buts about it. You give way to a pedestrian once they're on the crossing.

Screenshot_20220602-172802_OneDrive.jpg

I hate it when I'm approaching a Zebra and a car I'm letting through slams to a halt and the driver rudely gestures for you to cross. 

Along the prom the pavement in front of the apartments, hotels, etc has been built as a continuous pavement from Summerhill right along to Broadway, which gives pedestrians priority at every junction. It is up to vehicles turning into or out of a any junctions to give priority to pedestrians approaching these junctions. In effect the pedestrians are not crossing the road. The vehicles are crossing the pavement. 

It is about time that the DOI accepted that we use the UK highway code and printed a regular supplement to take account of local differences. The iom highway code is always out of date, costs more than the UK version, and quite unessasary. 

1 hour ago, Bandits said:

They don’t know it’s a pretend one as funnily enough normally when you see a zebra crossing anywhere else in the world it’s a zebra crossing. It’s only here we seem to like dangerous fantasy crossings that have no basis in road traffic law in order to lull you into a completely false sense of security

Your trolling is poor today. 

Sorry mate. You are talking rubbish. Have you ever been to Europe?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Very entertaining watching UK/EU vehicles trying to negotiate the roundels. Some take a circular track (as if it was a roundabout) only to be cut up by others taking a straight track across it. 

Aye... Frank's compromised at the moment. Photos on the prom, photos on the mountain. He started so well....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Sorry mate. You are talking rubbish. Have you ever been to Europe?

I’ve been to lots of places. And I’ve never seen people being encouraged to kill themselves by walking out into busy traffic on a fake zebra crossing. 

• Like 2