Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

14 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Regardless of this the police should be stationed at the roundels on race days to ensure traffic flows correctly.

Why would the police want to go anywhere near that shitshow on the prom .Sure they have enough to do regardless. And all they could do would be try and sort out something that should have been done when designed . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

just watched a family almost wiped out as they crossed the prom on a make believe crossing with no zigzags or legality , while a visiting german biker overtook a  car  on the outside who's driver    was hesitating  weather to stop  because he didn't  appear know if the crossing was legal or not , and the family obviously thought it was safe to go    I am afraid the prom is a very dangerous place at the moment , and I would question of any of the crossings without conventional road   markings  or flashing beacons   are legal

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Omobono said:

just watched a family almost wiped out as they crossed the prom on a make believe crossing with no zigzags or legality , while a visiting german biker overtook a  car  on the outside who's driver    was hesitating  weather to stop  because he didn't  appear know if the crossing was legal or not , and the family obviously thought it was safe to go    I am afraid the prom is a very dangerous place at the moment , and I would question of any of the crossings without conventional road   markings  or flashing beacons   are legal

But some people like the new crossing layouts as they put greater individual responsibility on both motorised road users and pedestrians alike.

That might be a good thing in theory (as perhaps in the deluded towers of the DoI) but whether it's a sensible approach when both sets of road users are relatively unfamiliar with how those layouts are meant to operate and when the consequences of somebody making a simple mistake might be life changing, is not so clear.

Not on the Island right now.

Genuine question,  is the prom operating ok?

Tomorrow is mad Sunday so a bit of a test.  I've read lots of negative posts but as yet not read about body bags running out due to the mayhem or Nobles shutting down due to numbe of injuries. 

Just now, NoTail said:

Not on the Island right now.

Genuine question,  is the prom operating ok?

Tomorrow is mad Sunday so a bit of a test.  I've read lots of negative posts but as yet not read about body bags running out due to the mayhem or Nobles shutting down due to numbe of injuries. 

Just been on the promenade & whilst it’s absolutely rammed, traffic is moving ok. Police were out earlier by villa, directing traffic but gone now.

We were in Bushys & never seen it so busy with queues back to Broadway to get in, about 200+ in sunken gardens waiting for madness, looked full inside from what I could see through gates going by & every pub is rammed so TT looks a success so far😀

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

Every TT I have witnessed German bikers ignore those waiting on Zebra crossings so it’s nothing new, if the car saw the hazard before the family did they should’ve beeped their horn, before now I’ve stuck my arm out the window and waved at filtering bikers to slow down, especially if I can see they’re filtering into a hazard they maybe can’t see, but providing the car stopped it would have given those crossing a safe refuge, so it’s still safer than trying to cross the road without any crossing.

Shared spaces are about looking out for each other, would be lovely to change the mindsets of a few that would rather watch an accident unfold and film the aftermath rather than prevent it happening in the first place (not suggesting this was your intention Omobono)

11 hours ago, Omobono said:

There is no legality issue. Flashing beacons, zig zags, whatever. Make no difference to the 'legality'.

If you drive through pedestrians on the road you commit an offence. Regardless of whether they are on a crossing with Bella and whistles, a simple zebra or just on the road.

Like @Annoymousecorrectly says it's about driving safely and everyone contributing. .

Wrt to zebras. The only difference is that if there are white lines across the road and someone is waiting to cross you must stop and let them cross. This does not apply with your so called fake crossing or the normal road. Once a pedestrian puts their foot in the road you must stop and let them safely cross the road. Regardless of flashing lights, zig zags.

personally I think the modern zebras are massively over the top and do not contribute significantly to road safety. You don't see them much in Europe.  That contribute comes most from drivers and pedestrians behaviours.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happier diner said:

There is no legality issue. Flashing beacons, zig zags, whatever. Make no difference to the 'legality'.

If you drive through pedestrians on the road you commit an offence. Regardless of whether they are on a crossing with Bella and whistles, a simple zebra or just on the road.

Like @Annoymousecorrectly says it's about driving safely and everyone contributing. .

Wrt to zebras. The only difference is that if there are white lines across the road and someone is waiting to cross you must stop and let them cross. This does not apply with your so called fake crossing or the normal road. Once a pedestrian puts their foot in the road you must stop and let them safely cross the road. Regardless of flashing lights, zig zags.

personally I think the modern zebras are massively over the top and do not contribute significantly to road safety. You don't see them much in Europe.  That contribute comes most from drivers and pedestrians behaviours.

These crossings may or may not be legal. However even  if they are it does not make them sensible or safe  in terms of their situation and intended use. Roads are expected to be built with safety as the  main objective. NOT  just  they're wonderful because we have made them just legal without taking safety into account. You say that people's behavior is the important factor. How do you intend to train people to improve to your required standards.? 

18 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

Regardless of this the police should be stationed at the roundels on race days to ensure traffic flows correctly.

They’re too busy arresting locals for all the things they couldn’t be bothered arresting  locals for in the other 50 weeks of the year to be bothered.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bandits said:

They’re too busy arresting locals for all the things they couldn’t be bothered arresting  locals for in the other 50 weeks of the year to be bothered.

You really are bitter towards the plod aren't you. Did your application to join get rejected?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Passing Time said:

You really are bitter towards the plod aren't you. Did your application to join get rejected?

No. I’m just sick of reading the awful BS they pump out on social media deriding the taxpayers who pay their wages.

• Like 2