Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

23 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I once used one as transport back from the Terminus because I was a bit tiddly. I fell asleep and missed my stop and ended up at the sea terminal🤪

It'll be a long time before it goes that far again. 😂

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I once used one as transport back from the Terminus because I was a bit tiddly. I fell asleep and missed my stop and ended up at the sea terminal🤪

Good job you didn't fall asleep on the bus! Port St. Mary would be confusing to wake up in.

55 minutes ago, emesde said:

Is there much of a case for having horse trams at all trundling down the  centre of a main road? 

It certainly isn't used as transport for getting anywhere. It is purely a nostalgia ride for visitors,and should have been situated off the road. Possibly along the walkway. The cost of pandering to a few has in itself been out of all proportion to any value and has been a costly and logistical nightmare as we are now seeing. 

There's actually a very good case in so far as it acts as a sort of traffic-calming on a road that could otherwise be driven quite fast.  Which you don't want because there are always so many pedestrians around.  The use of the tram tracks for parking had a similar effect when they didn't run.  What there was no argument for was putting them to one side, especially if not done consistently.

43 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

pity you missed the boat.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I really like the new bike parking strip. We should keep it. Park other things there outside of TT. Sheep maybe, or oligarchs. 

B9ED0479-5D94-4A4A-997D-6C4E032E1489.jpeg

CFF3ED95-A889-48BA-90BE-EF2FCA7BE5F6.jpeg

It needs to be surfaced, those bikes won't stand up for long when it gets wet and soft (a bit like Longworth's brain).

Some pink concrete should do the trick...

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

I really like the new bike parking strip. We should keep it. Park other things there outside of TT. Sheep maybe, or oligarchs. 

B9ED0479-5D94-4A4A-997D-6C4E032E1489.jpeg

CFF3ED95-A889-48BA-90BE-EF2FCA7BE5F6.jpeg

Where can I buy some wild flower seeds to grow some of those? 🤷‍♂️

i was looking at one of the original prom planning application sketches yesterday  and it looks like the taxpayers have been shortchanged , where all the cheap  tarmac has been laid between the horse tram points and section of the prom at  Broadway , was supposed to be  top quality coloured  paving,  so where has the money for this quality finish actually gone ?

I hope the Tynwald committee looking at this will ask some pertinent questions ,and go back to what the planning committee   and Tynwald actually approved and what we have finished up with , to put it mildly WE HAVE BEEN ROBBED !

29 minutes ago, Omobono said:

where all the cheap  tarmac has been laid between the horse tram points and section of the prom at  Broadway , was supposed to be  top quality coloured  paving,  so where has the money for this quality finish actually gone?

One or two people departed DOI during the course of this lengthy project, their benefits and superannuation were considerable....

5 hours ago, Omobono said:

i was looking at one of the original prom planning application sketches yesterday  and it looks like the taxpayers have been shortchanged , where all the cheap  tarmac has been laid between the horse tram points and section of the prom at  Broadway , was supposed to be  top quality coloured  paving,  so where has the money for this quality finish actually gone ?

I hope the Tynwald committee looking at this will ask some pertinent questions ,and go back to what the planning committee   and Tynwald actually approved and what we have finished up with , to put it mildly WE HAVE BEEN ROBBED !

I think thats all been done to tidy it up for TT as surely even DOI wouldnt leave it like that. Least I hope not. Also my guess is the rails there will have to come up to deal with the derail issue with the hotse trams.  Time will tell.

7 hours ago, Omobono said:

where all the cheap  tarmac has been laid between the horse tram points and section of the prom at  Broadway , was supposed to be  top quality coloured  paving,

Well it was only ever going to get smeared in horse shite in summer and sand from the beach in winter. 

It would be nice of DOI to tell us where our monet went... 

image.png

giphy (1).gif

Edited by 0bserver

"It would be nice of DOI to tell us where our monet went....." 

Fxxxing hell you mean they've lost a multi million £  painting as well. Is there no limit to this departments incompetence.?? 🤔😂

• Haha 5

28 minutes ago, emesde said:

"It would be nice of DOI to tell us where our monet went....." 

Fxxxing hell you mean they've lost a multi million £  painting as well. Is there no limit to this departments incompetence.?? 🤔😂

It's not a Monet but this is probably the best painting for the DOI 

What is the meaning of The Scream? - BBC Culture

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

It's not a Monet but this is probably the best painting for the DOI 

What is the meaning of The Scream? - BBC Culture

I heard from a reliable source that they are going to replace the roundels with works of art as a traffic calming measure. They are hoping crowds will gather in the road and hence slow vehices. 

• Like 1