Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

23 hours ago, emesde said:

I didn't realise that the horse trams were there to slow traffic. 

Couldn't they use a speed camera for that? 🤔

Well it wasn't what they were there for, but they had that effect.  Removing them meant they then had to introduce all sorts of other measures such as 20 mph limits and other 'traffic calming' to replace that.  No one at any stage of this project seems to have bothered to consider how the Prom worked and what the effect of making changes would be.   All that mattered was the pretty pictures.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I remeber going to the sea terminal many years ago and seeing plans and being able to give some suggestions and input. However one realises now that any public input is just ignored. They have an agenda and then make out they are listening to the taxpayers needs but really it is just a sham to make out they have listened. The public are really just an inconvenience to their power seeking ambitions. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, emesde said:

I remeber going to the sea terminal many years ago and seeing plans and being able to give some suggestions and input. However one realises now that any public input is just ignored. They have an agenda and then make out they are listening to the taxpayers needs but really it is just a sham to make out they have listened. The public are really just an inconvenience to their power seeking ambitions. 

It was Phil Gawne who let that cat out of the bag!

3 hours ago, emesde said:

I heard from a reliable source that they are going to replace the roundels with works of art as a traffic calming measure. They are hoping crowds will gather in the road and hence slow vehices. 

I laughed many moons ago, when, I think it was @Kopek, floated the idea to flood the Prom and have seahorses to tug the trams, but not anymore. In hindsight, this would have probably been a very cost-effective and sensible solution.

And your suggestion about art installations along the sides for traffic-calming purposes is also a good one. Apparently, there is a spare and unrebutted ‘David’ somewhere (not necessarily Michelangelo’s), but this could still be a crowd pleaser.

13 minutes ago, code99 said:

I laughed many moons ago, when, I think it was @Kopek, floated the idea to flood the Prom and have seahorses to tug the trams, but not anymore. In hindsight, this would have probably been a very cost-effective and sensible solution.

And your suggestion about art installations along the sides for traffic-calming purposes is also a good one. Apparently, there is a spare and unrebutted ‘David’ somewhere (not necessarily Michelangelo’s), but this could still be a crowd pleaser.

Thank you for that. Unfortunately I understand that they will be using artworks mainly by 2 great artists George Stubbs the famous painter of horses so that we can imagine what it would be like to have horses running up and down the prom. The second will be featured at every junction. Such work as the HayWain.  The plan is to have a Constable at every intersection. 😊 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, emesde said:

Unfortunately I understand that they will be using artworks mainly by 2 great artists George Stubbs the famous painter of horses so that we can imagine what it would be like to have horses running up and down the prom.

Roadside attractions may slow traffic but do not necessarily reduce accidents. Decades ago I was driving in Turin, crawling along because of the traffic jams. I passed a roadside attraction - 6 feet tall, legs up to the armpits, 6 inch stilettos, lycra mini-skirt - but perhaps unfortunately a couple of additional accessories. As I was passing by I heard a loud crunch behind me as two cars collided . He/she turned to her mate and said "That's the third accident I've caused today". Forget the marina, that's the kind of thing we need to liven things up in Ramsey.

I don't know..... How many collisions have there been.?? Hopefully any will be at low speeds and only result in the usual knock for knock style insurance claims. 

I used the old prom system every day for 30 years and don't ever remember seeing an accident there. So regard that as very safe. 

I use the new system most days and am  surprised at the number of near misses and people in cars and a coach doing u turns around the roundels. In my view the road is considerably more dangerous than it ever was. 

I don't think people have used words like carnage, haters, chaos.

believe that many experienced Motorists and people involved in road safety issues have a genuine concern that it has lowered the bar in terms of safety on the roads. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, emesde said:

I use the new system most days and am  surprised at the number of near misses and people in cars and a coach doing u turns around the roundels. In my view the road is considerably more dangerous than it ever was. 

People doing U-turns is the only problem I’ve come across, but apart from that, I don’t think it’s any more or less dangerous if you drive sensibly. 

Work begins on 'embarrassing' Douglas Promenade                           Work on "much needed improvements" to Douglas Promenade in the Isle of Man has begun.

The first phase of the scheme, which is expected to cost about £17m in total, will see work on the road between the Sea Terminal and Victoria Street.

Members of the public have described the road as "embarrassing" and "disgraceful".

Kelly Foran reports.

Published
8 November 2013
Section
BBC News
And here we are 9 years later!!