Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

watched a very near miss at the bottom of broadway yesterday a UK registered van was coming down onto the promenade , the pelican crossing light was on green , and the driver thinking it was a traffic light went to turn right , at a considerable speed  while a car going north on the promenade  also at speed  ,had to brake very hard to miss him , 

this place is an accident waiting to happen ,and so confusing if you are not local ,  I see they were back digging holes again in the new surface and had all the box drains opened up on the walkway side , 

I wonder who is paying for this ? 

40 minutes ago, Omobono said:

watched a very near miss at the bottom of broadway yesterday a UK registered van was coming down onto the promenade , the pelican crossing light was on green , and the driver thinking it was a traffic light went to turn right , at a considerable speed  while a car going north on the promenade  also at speed  ,had to brake very hard to miss him , 

this place is an accident waiting to happen ,and so confusing if you are not local ,  I see they were back digging holes again in the new surface and had all the box drains opened up on the walkway side , 

We seem to be waiting for quite a while. How long do we have to wait?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Apparently they have been at them all according to a friend with property down there. He's not so bothered as its not really affecting him , yet !! Auldyn vans down on these areas so presumably its snagging linked to issues showing up before final contract signed off  

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

From some safety report, published at some time in the past:

"3.2.3 Problem 3.09
Summary: Inadequate facilities for vehicles and pedestrians on Central Promenade at
Broadway.
This junction currently operates as a signalised junction. The close proximity of the controlled
crossing on Broadway, and lack of clear markings to indicate a roundabout may result in
motorists failing to give-way, thereby increasing the risk for collision. Motorists turning onto the
Central Promenade may believe they have absolute priority, increasing the likelihood of conflict"

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

"3.2.3 Problem 3.09
Summary: Inadequate facilities for vehicles and pedestrians on Central Promenade at
Broadway.
This junction currently operates as a signalised junction. The close proximity of the controlled
crossing on Broadway, and lack of clear markings to indicate a roundabout may result in
motorists failing to give-way, thereby increasing the risk for collision. Motorists turning onto the
Central Promenade may believe they have absolute priority, increasing the likelihood of conflict"

So is it a bloody roundabout or not?

• Like 1

It seems that basically the DOI  didn't know what they had commissioned, what was designed and built and really didn't care as long as it was "different". In terms of road safety they seem to have little concern about the new junctions, crossings. or road signage. I'm sure much of this will come back to bite them at some future date and I just hope that there won't be serious injuries because of their incompetence. 

8 hours ago, Two-lane said:

"3.2.3 Problem 3.09
Broadway.

Trouble with safety reports is the investigators always seem to go over the top. They think if they come along and say it's all ok the customer will think they didn't get value for money. In addition they are risk averse so they will find lots of faults and tell you all about them just in case there is an accident.

I think there are plenty of more hazardous things on this island to spend more money on....but heyho

14 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

So why does the (I assume official) safety report suggest a lack of signage for a Roundabout then…….. when we’ve all been told the lack of signage is because it’s not a roundabout but an unmarked junction….

The information I have comes from FoI request ID 2242239 (search for " promenade design ").

The first report uses the word "roundel". It is clear from other data on the Internet, that "roundel" refers to an unmarked junction.

The second report might be badly phrased - they might intend to mean that the pedestrian lights imply to a driver that it is a light controlled junction and that there is no need for a driver to be prepared to give way.