Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

15 minutes ago, manxchester said:

End of July for the horse trams to start operating apparently (doesn't state which year..)

All of these preparatory tasks are currently planned to be undertaken prior to the end of July. This is, however, a tight time scale and dependent on suitable weather, the performance of the horse team and the availability of staff and plant.

So if it all goes wrong it will be fault of the horses, apparently.

• Haha 3

On 6/27/2022 at 6:08 PM, Dirty Buggane said:

I see they had a digger valiantly removing the sand on the for shore today. Is this to pay lip service to the people that have been shouting this is all that is needed. Not a new, start at 5 million (then think of a number then add a cost it could never reach) to spunk against. At least we tried it, then failed. Failed to mention it was a mini track digger with a 36" blade and a 2 cubic ft bucket. For fucks sake bring in a couple of the big shovels from the quarries with the 4 ton buckets and give us the 8 foot drop it used to be in front of the palace. Though then we really will need an 8' fence for health and safety

They could not organise a piss up in Okells brewery.

All they need to do is dig a long trench a few meters above the water line at low tide, and let the tide do the rest. Next day same again a few meters up. Repeat until,the tide has moved the beach. Seven to ten days should do it. 

50 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I do not think it worthwhile to re-invent the wheel. Maltby, Glover, and a selection of senior civil servants should go on a fact-finding tour to Manchester, Edinburgh and most European cities to find out how those cities handle this difficult problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Is that the smell of a successful lawsuit I wonder? If more signage would be beneficial is that the same as saying the current signage is inadequate?

Sinage should really be thought about in the planning stages, it’s part of what the finished build looks like. Soon we will need a sign to warn about all the other signs as a pedestrian may walk into one.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Have you ever been to the Mooragh? I think I once counted thirty seven signs in there and around the outside. 

All part of blame culture, it’s a wonder there isn’t railings all the way round, most of those signs will be for no swimming, no cycling and no dogs. 

3 minutes ago, Annoymouse said:

All part of blame culture, it’s a wonder there isn’t railings all the way round, most of those signs will be for no swimming, no cycling and no dogs. 

And yet there’s always people cycling or walking dogs in there. Might be too many so people just end up ignoring them.

1 hour ago, Roxanne said:

Have you ever been to the Mooragh? I think I once counted thirty seven signs in there and around the outside. 

But Mooragh Park is a reasonable size. At the MER stop on Parsonage Road I counted 21 signs - Entry, No Entry, This Way, That Way. Well, that was a few years ago and there have been several breeding seasons since, so now there may be a few more.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Report from Manx radio says MHK Tim Glover who has resbonsibility for DOI . Surely thats not right ? 

Chris Thomas was absent (as were Christian and Barber, so clearly MHKs aren't immune to Covid) so Glover was standing in for him as a Departmental Member.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It isn’t a difficult problem though and we now have non standard warning signs, on a non stamdard junction, on a non standard promenade. It’s just an unrelenting mess of made up on the hoof implemented rubbish. If they’d have kept the existing tram layout there would be no need for any of this.

I see what you did there!

• Haha 2