Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

13 hours ago, 0bserver said:

I never understood why they don't just get one of these. They could even take the carriages they have and put them on the road wheels.

BHJ-GHC02-Beston-Amusement-Park-Train-Rides-for-Sale.jpg

I think it is because they are shit.

Actually no, that would normally mean they would get two.

Must be because Mercedes don't make them.

• Haha 8

I was taking a passing interest to the work that was taking place on the pink bit in the middle of the promenade. We now appear to have an expansion joint every 8 feet, I say appear to as they only seem to be cutting a 2 inch deep channel  and then filling it with a mastic. Now I am no expert but should the expansion joint not be the full depth of the pink slabs to actually be of any use. Methinks much clutching of straws and what genius at the DOI thought this was going to be of any use or is it just like Phil Gawnes saying when the road up to the farm was done. We had the money so had to use it, no matter how stupid it is.

17 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I was taking a passing interest to the work that was taking place on the pink bit in the middle of the promenade. We now appear to have an expansion joint every 8 feet, I say appear to as they only seem to be cutting a 2 inch deep channel  and then filling it with a mastic. Now I am no expert but should the expansion joint not be the full depth of the pink slabs to actually be of any use. Methinks much clutching of straws and what genius at the DOI thought this was going to be of any use or is it just like Phil Gawnes saying when the road up to the farm was done. We had the money so had to use it, no matter how stupid it is.

I saw that myself and thought exactly the same!

surely  the pink stuff is only for show ,and wont it have to be broken up again to continue with the  laying of the  rails to the end of the prom and  jubilee clock 

like the Buggane ,I cant see the sense in trying to  cut look alike expansion joints  every 8 feet its just bullshit and a waste of time and money , I wish there was a way for Tynwald to have this work independently assessed , ,I bet the results would be frightening , and now  traffic cones the full length  of the prom either side of the rails to derby castle , jut what is going on down there , ? Chris Thomas do you have a clue whats going on ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Omobono said:

surely  the pink stuff is only for show ,and wont it have to be broken up again to continue with the  laying of the  rails to the end of the prom and  jubilee clock 

like the Buggane ,I cant see the sense in trying to  cut look alike expansion joints  every 8 feet its just bullshit and a waste of time and money , I wish there was a way for Tynwald to have this work independently assessed , ,I bet the results would be frightening , and now  traffic cones the full length  of the prom either side of the rails to derby castle , jut what is going on down there , ? Chris Thomas do you have a clue whats going on ? 

I think the cones were to protect the lone worker with the 4" grinder and caulking gun!

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Heard on the grapevine that the guy who rents out the cones is very happy indeed. Allegedly the government (us) pays £1 a day for them, they had an option to buy them but didn't take it up.

Handy that he worked for government when he heard they wanted to farm all this sort of thing out then!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

The rails aren't going in that pink concrete though. If they ever complete the route they will go in the corridor against the sunken gardens currently where the 'wild flowers' are . 

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

They cut channels in most of the red concrete after they had laid it. Same only went down around 2inch too so I'm not sure how thats going to work either. And I've worked on some big concrete pours and expansion joints are put in always to the depth of the concrete. It couldn't have been on the spec for the works as cant believe the contractors (Auldyn) would have not done it as it would leave them wide open to have to replace it all. 

59 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

The rails aren't going in that pink concrete though. If they ever complete the route they will go in the corridor against the sunken gardens currently where the 'wild flowers' are . 

the pink stuff they were channeling out today is outside the Villa marina , no where near the sunken gardens , more money being thrown at this lame duck project ,  when the rest of the islands infrastructure is falling apart , disgraceful !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Omobono said:

the pink stuff they were channeling out today is outside the Villa marina , no where near the sunken gardens , more money being thrown at this lame duck project ,  when the rest of the islands infrastructure is falling apart , disgraceful !

Okay , will have a look tomorrow to see if I can make head or tail about it. Either way its no good unless it goes completely through to the subbase to make a expansion break . 

10 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

They cut channels in most of the red concrete after they had laid it. Same only went down around 2inch too so I'm not sure how thats going to work either. And I've worked on some big concrete pours and expansion joints are put in always to the depth of the concrete. It couldn't have been on the spec for the works as cant believe the contractors (Auldyn) would have not done it as it would leave them wide open to have to replace it all. 

Water will seep into those new channels past the mastic. When it freezes in winter it will expand, this will hasten the cracking of the concrete if it doesn't actually push the mastic out as well.

The existing edges of the pink concrete where it abuts the carriageway are already crumbling and breaking up. Cutting new channels creates new edges which will create new opportunities for the process.

• Like 2

The DOI mandarins have been told by at least two independent (and qualified) sources that the concrete needs to be broken out and either renewed or replaced with tarmac.

I'm not sure why they're continuing down this route, is it so they don't have to admit they got it wrong?