Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Spent an evening in the 'cultural quarter'.

Gaiety -beautiful, a real treasure.  

Dick Barton - a bit of a romp, and a good production for 4 performances.

The prom - dire.  The lighting around the quarter was poor, thought the lower lights  and the spikes on the top were supposed to gently change colour.  Nope, the lower lights remained blue and the spikes were not lit up at all. Just unremarkable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Let's be honest, the whole of the promenade scheme has been a huge disappointment.

Looks nothing like the shiny computer graphics and I believe immaculate model shown at sea terminal. The prom is now just a shadow of it former grandeur, admittedly it was getting rough around the edges. All we needed was to tidy it up, sort out the carriage way (maybe widen it in a few places for passing trams)/renew the tracks, following original layout/replace railings and rusted street furniture and last but not least bring back the mushroom heads on the lamp posts that seemed to give off a warm all round glow. Most off all they also lighted the whole area and not little spots every now and then. And bring back the festoon that showed the curve off the bay, if you look towards Douglas head you will see strings of festoon on the road up to Manx radio and they look good, not this mish mash on the prom that looks and preforms shite. We ain't seen it on a dark winters night yet, but I imagine it will just show how shite it really is.

Sorry for the rambling I miss the festoon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

When I used to go to Douglas, I would park on the northern end of the prom, and enjoy walking to the shops. The new prom is awful. As someone who has worked on largescale landscaping schemes, the profusion of different materials and colours is, imho, awful, and could never work. Just keep it simple, rhythm and harmony. The planted areas, including the villa gardens, are an opportunity missed. I avoid Douglas as much as possible these days.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Festoon lights are up on south quay. I was against the prom lights initially but now actually quite like them. They can be programmed and change colour depending on what program is running. For example, charities can request a certain colour for free for a day or longer. Companies can also request specific colours for a fee.

The new lights are also way better for anyone out at sea like search and rescue when someone goes for a swim at night again. Because the LEDs are so focused there is no stray light going out to see, making it easier for the lifeboat crew to see. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

30 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The new lights are also way better for anyone out at sea like search and rescue when someone goes for a swim at night again. Because the LEDs are so focused there is no stray light going out to see, making it easier for the lifeboat crew to see. 

Being x lifeboat , honestly this sounds like some crap from a sales pitch

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

That’s what a fellow councillor who happens to be the station manager told me. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I agree the salesmen will say anything didn't the council learn anything when they bought the chewing gum  remover , 

we don't want festoon lights , we want   free public toilets  weekly bin collection  clean and litter free streets and some civic pride bringing back into the town ,

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Omobono said:

I agree the salesmen will say anything didn't the council learn anything when they bought the chewing gum  remover , 

we don't want festoon lights , we want   free public toilets  weekly bin collection  clean and litter free streets and some civic pride bringing back into the town ,

Some people can’t be helped. I told you it came straight from the lifeboat guy but that’s still not good enough because some people cannot ever be in any way positive when it comes to DBC/DOI/whoever today’s enemy is. It’s like your life evolves around rubbishing others.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Some people can’t be helped. I told you it came straight from the lifeboat guy but that’s still not good enough because some people cannot ever be in any way positive when it comes to DBC/DOI/whoever today’s enemy is. It’s like your life evolves around rubbishing others.

what happens when the tram horses need their blinkers back?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

The promenade is a soulless mess.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, daisy said:

The promenade is a soulless mess.

The project was a mess but large parts of the final result actually look good. It’s a shame they couldn’t do it properly but it’s better than before. Sadly that’s all you’re going to get from the DOI on this one.