Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

54 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The project was a mess but large parts of the final result actually look good. It’s a shame they couldn’t do it properly but it’s better than before. Sadly that’s all you’re going to get from the DOI on this one. 

And the awful lights? I thought they were 'DBC'?  They contribute massively to the overall dire picture.  Oh and the rest of Douglas looks unkempt and dirty.... shocking and sad.  Going into town now is a miserable experience to be endured rather than enjoyed.  Certainly nothing to hang around for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daisy said:

And the awful lights? I thought they were 'DBC'?  They contribute massively to the overall dire picture.  Oh and the rest of Douglas looks unkempt and dirty.... shocking and sad.  Going into town now is a miserable experience to be endured rather than enjoyed.  Certainly nothing to hang around for.

They're very much DBC, though the decision was made back in 2019.  The usual claims of cost-saving, but of course no one is saying that there shouldn't be a move to LEDs , just that care needs to be taken so what you purchase has the desired effect.  Lighting can make such a difference to the atmosphere of a place (as well as to things such as safety) and that in turn impacts on commercial activities and general enjoyment.

The argument about the old lights hindering rescues at sea is almost a definition of clutching at straws.  If they were such a problem, why weren't they simply switched off on the very rare occasions this happened?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Omobono said:

I agree the salesmen will say anything didn't the council learn anything when they bought the chewing gum  remover , 

we don't want festoon lights , we want   free public toilets  weekly bin collection  clean and litter free streets and some civic pride bringing back into the town ,

City🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Some people can’t be helped. I told you it came straight from the lifeboat guy but that’s still not good enough because some people cannot ever be in any way positive when it comes to DBC/DOI/whoever today’s enemy is. It’s like your life evolves around rubbishing others.

He has a point though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Festoon lights are up on south quay. I was against the prom lights initially but now actually quite like them. They can be programmed and change colour depending on what program is running. For example, charities can request a certain colour for free for a day or longer. Companies can also request specific colours for a fee.

The new lights are also way better for anyone out at sea like search and rescue when someone goes for a swim at night again. Because the LEDs are so focused there is no stray light going out to see, making it easier for the lifeboat crew to see. 

Have many companies paid to have the lights a certain colour? HTF would you know what the coloured lights were representing. We go back to the point raised earlier about the salesman's ability...........or prove me wrong.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The argument about the old lights hindering rescues at sea is almost a definition of clutching at straws.  If they were such a problem, why weren't they simply switched off on the very rare occasions this happened?

Has Blackpool been instructed to bin the illuminations and install new RNLI-friendly lighting?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Surely some light spilling on to the sea would be helpful in spotting a head bobbing about in the water?

Or are they claiming to be dazzled by some 15 watt festoon lights!

Somebody was certainly dazzled by something; one would suspect it was bullshit rolled in glitter.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

It’s pointless to argue with some people here. You know everything better anyway. 

To be honest Amadeus, around the cultural area, it is underwhelming.  It is such a shame, and with a tweak it could be a magical area.  The coloured lights are not setting an atmosphere there, they are overwhelmed by the standard lighting. 

The wooden carved statue sat on the bench doesn't have a story as to why it is there or what it is symbolising with its open hands.

Just with a little bit of thought it could be a lovely thing.  The traced music could be accentuated to have a meaning.  But if you go after daylight is waning there is nothing to make you look at it, let alone follow it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 7/15/2022 at 10:50 PM, Max Power said:

Well, I have just driven across the prom, mid summer's evening, dead as a doornail and dark and miserable! The lighting is totally abysmal, no atmosphere whatsoever. Quite frankly a bloody disgrace for somewhere that purports to be a vibrant holiday destination!

Apart from that, the whole town has deteriorated as far as nightlife goes. (I visited a handful of pubs, full of half wits to be honest) I'm glad I wasn't drinking at £5.00 a pint, although that doesn't seem to deter the trackies and trainers gobshites who frequent the town these nights! 

We're doomed! 

I do think the prom needs some work.

Personally I'm more worried about what you, in my opinion, quite rightly say in your second paragraph. Henderson and Glass closed early on Friday and a lot of pubs went down to only 1 or 2 staff. The only place that seem to have any sort of level of custom are the likes of Jaks and 1886. Even then it's mostly younger folk and seems to be after 10/11. 

Concerning and again for people like myself, where you're thinking of investing money, it's making us think twice.

I totally get that it's expensive for people to go out and that money is tight for a lot too. The cost of everything is going up. We're definitely going to go down to the brewery and only a handful of independents here in the leisure industry. 

Certain places are doing well and I'm happy for them. I'm thinking of the likes of Bonzai and Orange Indya. There are then others that have been relatively consistent who continue to do well, like New Hong Kong. New places can get by if they are a bit different. Timeout for example. 

Find it interesting that the owners of Jaks have confidence they can entice the level of custom they need at the new venue next to the Gaiety when their other premises is within a stones throw. I don't share their belief at the moment. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Annoymouse said:

Because people want facts, not the bullshit story you’ve been fed and now regurgitated.

And the continual focus on the "achievements and what DBC do well".

This world moves forwards by addressing weaknesses and failings rather than by solely heaping praise on successes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

And the continual focus on the "achievements and what DBC do well".

This world moves forwards by addressing weaknesses and failings rather than by solely heaping praise on successes.

I’ve never heard such nonsense, just because an RNLI boss man says it’s safer it’s considered a positive change yet that’s only one opinion.  Will pedestrians walking on the promenade be able to spot anyone struggling in the water easier or will it actually make it more difficult? Who is it that typically raises the alarm? We should tell all the UK seaside towns about this amazing discovery because they suffer from more light pollution than we ever have done.

• Like 1