Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Minister Thomas will be busy hosting circle jerk for a small group of anoraks at midday. 

They even have the cheek to make the 'event' free after the millions that have been wasted. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/horse-tram-event-today-557281

It would have been appreciated if he could supply the GMP with a factual account of where our millions were channelled off to. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0bserver said:

Minister Thomas will be busy hosting circle jerk for a small group of anoraks at midday. 

They even have the cheek to make the 'event' free after the millions that have been wasted. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/horse-tram-event-today-557281

It would have been appreciated if he could supply the GMP with a factual account of where our millions were channelled off to. 

It's a money loser anyway so what's a few free trips going to do...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

It's a money loser anyway so what's a few free trips going to do...

Before I have a dig around, does anyone know how much it loses annually (pre-prom shambles) and the portion of the overall prom costs that were attributable?

I've got a feeling it was about £200k & £5m respectively. 

From my taxes, I want to know how much this has cost me already and how much it is likely to cost annually. 

As I've said already, prior to the prom redevelopment, I was fairly indifferent to the horse trams.  Now I hate them passionately.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Before I have a dig around, does anyone know how much it loses annually (pre-prom shambles) and the portion of the overall prom costs that were attributable?

I've got a feeling it was about £200k & £5m respectively. 

From my taxes, I want to know how much this has cost me already and how much it is likely to cost annually. 

As I've said already, prior to the prom redevelopment, I was fairly indifferent to the horse trams.  Now I hate them passionately.  

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/horse-trams-made-ps500k-loss-during-last-season-220917

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/politics/horse-trams-make-a-loss-during-tt-228541

https://gef.im/2018/10/03/opinion-horse-trams-a-terminus-for-tradition/

Essentially just under £750k per annum on 'operating losses' The prom work is about £7.5m attributed to them. 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

certain vets absolutely love the horse trams.

• Thanks 1

What still amazes me (and this applies to the other 'heritage' railways too) is that DOI Public Transport Division have no idea how much money they expect to lose this summer. 

A FOI was submitted earlier in the year and DOI essentially said they have no business plan or loss forecast to predict how much taxpayers cash they will burn through. 

In the current economic climate where many of the GMP are struggling to find enough money to feed their families, that is unforgiveable. 

ETA when I say £7.5m for the Prom, that includes the new tram sheds and the cost of buying the stable blocks from DBC. 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The most recent economically active population numbers for the IOM I can see are from 2016 and 42,000.  I know that everyone pays different amounts of tax, but lets just assume we're all equal in this instance. 

(Very approximate) per person tax paid for this would be:

Cost of trams on the prom redevelopment = £178.

Annual costs =£18.  

11 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The most recent economically active population numbers for the IOM I can see are from 2016 and 42,000.  I know that everyone pays different amounts of tax, but lets just assume we're all equal in this instance. 

(Very approximate) per person tax paid for this would be:

Cost of trams on the prom redevelopment = £178.

Annual costs =£18.  

Yet they have the audacity to run them for free today for the amusement of some anoraks. Total lack of business acumen by IOM Government - they should be rinsing these train spotters for every single penny, such is the cost of the trains and trams. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

Yet they have the audacity to run them for free today for the amusement of some anoraks. Total lack of business acumen by IOM Government - they should be rinsing these train spotters for every single penny, such is the cost of the trains and trams. 

How can they lack something they have never had...

• Like 2

Are they actually running properly now?  I thought this was just a "circle jerk for anoraks" (thanks for the quote @Observer )

Report on the NPM suggests this is a launch?  

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/horse-trams-return-to-douglas-promenade/

If it is, fingers crossed for a spectacular derailment imminently. 

Also, Chris Thomas thinks "the Victorians would be proud".  I'm 100% certain they would be absolutely baffled by the fact we now have drones, hoverboards, electric cars, e-scooters, electric bikes etc etc and we are still dragging trams with fucking horses!!! 

He seems pretty confident in extending the tracks in winter 2023.  I'm hoping there will be an uprising by this point. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Are they actually running properly now?  I thought this was just a "circle jerk for anoraks" (thanks for the quote @Observer )

Report on the NPM suggests this is a launch?  

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/horse-trams-return-to-douglas-promenade/

If it is, fingers crossed for a spectacular derailment imminently. 

Also, Chris Thomas thinks "the Victorians would be proud".  I'm 100% certain they would be absolutely baffled by the fact we now have drones, hoverboards, electric cars, e-scooters, electric bikes etc etc and we are still dragging trams with fucking horses!!! 

He seems pretty confident in extending the tracks in winter 2023.  I'm hoping there will be an uprising by this point. 

Sorry, I've just picked myself up off the floor after reading that Chris Thomas quote on the NPM website! The Victorians would be pissing themselves at us not being able to do a relatively simple bit of civil engineering (it was massively complicated because DOI made it so). 

If there is any indication of work taking place on the Promenade then I hope local businesses will group together to sue the DOI. 

• Haha 2