Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The press release (which I noted at the time was unusually terse for this sort of thing) merely said that he "had announced his intention to retire" without saying when.  So heavens knows how long he will hang on for.  He certainly would have wanted to hang around so he could swan around at the 'Summer Transport Festival', maybe there will be more events he will hang on for.

Agree very peculiar. So no he hasn’t gone again. Just like he didn’t go last time.He must have witnessed COMIN ritually murdering someone to be so protected. Alf would be well advised to offer him the following advice. 

C24302D7-33FD-4579-9273-2B1D2224D84A.jpeg

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Govt HR needs a massive review.

The review has started but it needs to go more in-depth. But at the end of the day in the IOM they will always employ an off island bullshitting lying spiv of dubious providence than risk that a Manx person of the wrong sort (ie, someone who can think independently and won’t be bullied) gets the job. 

• Like 2

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/sunken-garden-wall-repairs-predicted-to-cost-more-than-200k/

For 7-8 months we've been told that the sunken garden walls haven't been repaired because they were waiting for the insurance company.

Now it's because it's a "significant investment", so no time scale is given.

Firstly where do they get these telephone numbers from?

Secondly, surely the whole point of insurance is that the cost is not our problem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long time lurker and this has actually made me angry enough to creat an account.

£200k.  Where on earth does that come from?

I can recall these walls being damaged in numerous storms and they were simply rebuilt in the spring.

We had the whole stone wall around our house reconstructed after years of damage caused by careless drivers and trees.  It was a much bigger job than the small sections down there and cost less than ten percent of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Be interested to know who tendered for the job and how they've costed it. Taking the piss again by plucking a number from fresh air, I suspect, as usual. All quotations for public works, once agreed, should be readily available seeing as it's our money. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Long time lurker and this has actually made me angry enough to creat an account.

£200k.  Where on earth does that come from?

I can recall these walls being damaged in numerous storms and they were simply rebuilt in the spring.

We had the whole stone wall around our house reconstructed after years of damage caused by careless drivers and trees.  It was a much bigger job than the small sections down there and cost less than ten percent of that.

DBC needed a wall replacing so they asked companies to tender for the work.

A UK contractor comes along measures up and says that will be £10,000 - £5k labour, £4k materials and £1k profit.

The IOM contractor doesn't bother to measure up. He just says it will be £30,000.

The DBC official wants to know how the local contractor got to his price without even measuring. "Easy" said the IOM contractor. "£10k for me, £10k for you and we'll spend £10k getting the UK contractor to do the work". 

Edited by 0bserver
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the 200k figure also includes replacing all of the play equipment and wouldn't be surprised if it also included plans to replace the kiosk with a cafe. I know they had plans to put glass walls around the kiosk seating area but wouldn't be surprised if they are now planning on something more expensive 

7 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I think the 200k figure also includes replacing all of the play equipment and wouldn't be surprised if it also included plans to replace the kiosk with a cafe. I know they had plans to put glass walls around the kiosk seating area but wouldn't be surprised if they are now planning on something more expensive 

If that is the case then they need to make it clear ASAP as people are rightly disgusted at the idea of £200k to replace a few lengths of wall.  

All negative PR like this does is make ratepayers more aware of how DTC waste our money.

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

In which case why don't they say that's what it's for and let the (very inefficient) insurance company worry about the walls.

1 hour ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Wouldn't they reuse the stone? £200K seems an awful lot of money for a few bags of cement and labour.

government job, money no object, who's friend of a friend gets the loot ?  should just be corpy masons doing the job but probably a mason of a different kind.

• Like 1