Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of observations.

Our car reads every road sign in the island successfully, apart from the ones notifying people of the 20mph limit on the prom. If my car can’t see them then they aren’t positioned properly and neither can drivers.

I notice they have had to add another no entry sign at the Douglas City Centre Horse Tram Interchange.  Presumably because people were not seeing the designed signage.

7 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Just a couple of observations.

Our car reads every road sign in the island successfully, apart from the ones notifying people of the 20mph limit on the prom. If my car can’t see them then they aren’t positioned properly and neither can drivers.

I notice they have had to add another no entry sign at the Douglas City Centre Horse Tram Interchange.  Presumably because people were not seeing the designed signage.

If you can't "see" the signs then you should probably hand your driving licence back. 

32 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

If you can't "see" the signs then you should probably hand your driving licence back. 

The point is they really aren’t that visible.  They are in stupid locations and if the tech in the car misses them then it’s no wonder visitors or people unfamiliar with the road do.

I know it’s a 20 from Jubilee Clock to The Empress so don’t need the signs.  A colleague I was out with the other day sailed along there at 30 and had no idea.

You can argue about if he and others “should” see the signs all day long but the fact is that speed limit signs should be pretty impossible to miss. 

The whole thing is just a busy and cluttered mess.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Asthehills said:

I know it’s a 20 from Jubilee Clock to The Empress so don’t need the signs.

Not quite. The signs are on the *exit* of the roundabout at Lord Street. I usually arrive from the bridge side, so whilst renegotiating the roundabout my eyes are at road level looking at other traffic - I did not see the signs until I went back on foot.

These images are on the other end. Yes, there is another sign on the other side of the road but because there is a pedestrian crossing there I am concentrating on the near-side looking for pedestrians.

SAM_0260-crop-1.JPG

SAM_0261-crop-1.JPG

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

Can’t they at least suspend the horse tram during roads closed? Huge queue behind it. And who designed this so the bus can’t get past it? That’s just... 

5830B215-25EB-4F97-8079-205A326E2607.jpeg

Agree with you here it was ridiculous the other day too. The DOI has really excelled itself making this pile of absolute crap even worse to use after all the “improvements” they’ve done. It pathetic. I see they have also now plastered our “Victorian” tramway with at least 4 no entry signs just past the Empress given the number of bikes that get completely confused and go straight on like you’ve been able to do for the last 100 years. It looks so unsightly. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BriT said:

Agree with you here it was ridiculous the other day too. The DOI has really excelled itself making this pile of absolute crap even worse to use after all the “improvements” they’ve done. It pathetic. I see they have also now plastered our “Victorian” tramway with at least 4 no entry signs just past the Empress given the number of bikes that get completely confused and go straight on like you’ve been able to do for the last 100 years. It looks so unsightly. 

Somebody posted the other day that a DOI management meeting now looks like a load of schoolkids.

This explains much....all the experience and knowledge has gone. All we have left is inexperience and fancy thinking with nothing to temper it.

Douglas Prom is somebody's apprenticeship project.

• Like 3

But still nobody has been called as responsible and no sanctions made against them. We, the Manx public have been conned, misled, lied to and overcharged for someone's dream that is an ongoing nightmare for those that paid for it.

Of course it will happen again and again, MEA, Liverpool, Iris, the 'Cabbage', to name but a few disasters, and will continue to keep happening until there is major action taken against the perpetrators,

I know, dream on Doc. 😢

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

But still nobody has been called as responsible and no sanctions made against them. We, the Manx public have been conned, misled, lied to and overcharged for someone's dream that is an ongoing nightmare for those that paid for it.

What's up, Doc? Beginning to feel your age?  Tell you what, let's both get out the old Che Guevara T-shirts, flared trousers and cuban-heeled boots,  pick up a couple of baseball bats and march on Tynwald to sort things out. Well, it could be a bit more of a stagger than a march, but someone has to do it. It's time for the IoM version of the Poll Tax riots.

• Haha 1