Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

25 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

What's up, Doc? Beginning to feel your age? 

It’s not even an age thing as you’ll find the absolute bell-ends who screwed up the prom were probably in their 40s and 50s. It’s almost like a boredom factor creeps in. Overpaid people bored and looking for things to do to justify their existence who over engineer everything to pad out the few remaining years they have getting paid to be basically bloody useless. That’s effectively the whole Manx public sector. I’m going to try to get a photo of those No Entry signs tomorrow. They’re pathetic. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BriT said:

the absolute bell-ends who screwed up the prom were probably in their 40s and 50s

How many MHKs, the people who are paid a bloody fortune to represent the interests of the electorate, have stood up and said that the prom. is a total end-to-end screw-up? Somewhere between none and zero. That's the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

How many MHKs, the people who are paid a bloody fortune to represent the interests of the electorate, have stood up and said that the prom. is a total end-to-end screw-up? Somewhere between none and zero. That's the problem.

Good point. I think someone could literally shit in Alf Cannans jacket pocket and still get promotion. 

6 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

There's a lot to be said for just getting on with it. Decisions were taken, we are where we are, and all that. It's not going back how it was, it's not going to get any better, there's absolutely bugger all to be done, so stop stressing and taking pictures and just deal with it. Why give energy to something you have no control over.

And anyway, I like the roundels.

What if the money spent on designing and creating the roundels had instead been spent on clearing the upstream waterways and weirs, would you and others have been flooded out? Is that not worth arguing about?

Just get on with what? Deal with what?  I am not really stressing out - I am just seriously pissed off with the quality of the people whose salary I am paying. The photos I posted above of the 20mph signs was just because this is a gossip column, and I was merely pointing out that it is crap design - and this is safety related issue.

(On  DoI safety aspects, I point out that if someone competent had been working for the DoI there is a great likelihood that the cyclist at St. Johns would not have been killed.)

You do not want to make the effort to protest? Too busy drinking camomile tea?  No problem. Those Laxey flood prevention solutions look a bit dubious to me. If you get flooded out again, don't expect me to come down there, throw you over my shoulder, and carry you to safety.  I've got less important things to do.

You don't like the tone of this? Going to get me banned?  Well, go ahead punk, make my day. I've been banned from worse forums than this - I'm banned by Facebook.

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

How many didn't defend it, endlessly?

I really despise driving / walking down the promenade these days for all the reasons mentioned previously.

Not wide enough
Parking spaces not big enough
Horse tram tracks too far apart making the promenade not wide enough
Horse tram signal system that cost an insane amount of money for horse trams to run another 15 metres
Utterly f'ing stupid horse tram tracks that cross over the middle of the road
Stupid signage telling people not to drive down the horse tramway due to ridiculous design of road layout in the first place
20mph speed limit
Unable to see signage telling me it's a 20mph speed limit
Roundels
Pedestrian walkway path on the sea side still looks as crap as it did previously with partially painted old lines due to not being refurbed
Tarmac cracking
Pink tarmac down the middle of the road
Not one member of Government taking any responsibility or suggesting anything is even slightly wrong with it

But other than that, it's fine

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Amadeus said:

Can’t they at least suspend the horse tram during roads closed? Huge queue behind it. And who designed this so the bus can’t get past it? That’s just... 

5830B215-25EB-4F97-8079-205A326E2607.jpeg

But there is more space according to this article. Although how many cars are less than 1.8m wide?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/more-space-for-trams-and-traffic-insists-doi-228434

Edited by ellanvannin2010

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

What if the money spent on designing and creating the roundels had instead been spent on clearing the upstream waterways and weirs, would you and others have been flooded out? Is that not worth arguing about?

Just get on with what? Deal with what?  I am not really stressing out - I am just seriously pissed off with the quality of the people whose salary I am paying. The photos I posted above of the 20mph signs was just because this is a gossip column, and I was merely pointing out that it is crap design - and this is safety related issue.

(On  DoI safety aspects, I point out that if someone competent had been working for the DoI there is a great likelihood that the cyclist at St. Johns would not have been killed.)

You do not want to make the effort to protest? Too busy drinking camomile tea?  No problem. Those Laxey flood prevention solutions look a bit dubious to me. If you get flooded out again, don't expect me to come down there, throw you over my shoulder, and carry you to safety.  I've got less important things to do.

You don't like the tone of this? Going to get me banned?  Well, go ahead punk, make my day. I've been banned from worse forums than this - I'm banned by Facebook.

/flounce

• Haha 1

The roundels only work because every who has half a brain cell treats it as a roundabout. Even visiting motorcycles/motorists on encountering it treat it as a round about and it works. Only local bellend's steaming across whilst shouting its a shared space its a shared space are the major problem. It has been shown the self sorting free for all ain't working so people are falling back on rules they know, give way to the right and away we flow. Just paint a fucking white dot in the centre and let people crack on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

But there is more space according to this article. Although how many cars are less than 1.8m wide?

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/more-space-for-trams-and-traffic-insists-doi-228434

That article dates back to 2019, just over 3 years ago. Time has proved it to be a masterpiece of "inaccuracies" (read, a pack of lies, as most of us knew it was), the railway was not relaid "like for like", making the two railways 300mm wider clearly meant that that 300mm had to be taken from somewhere, given that the overall width of the lanes on the Promenade is constrained by the pavements on either side. So the traffic and parking lanes are narrower, it's easy to see that by the way that the parked cars now overhang the parking lane markings and many vehicles can no longer pass the horsetrams now in operation.

In the same vein that we were told and paid for, the horsetrams to run all the way to the Sea Terminal.

• Like 1

On the subject of painted roundabouts , they are imo inherently dangerous but of course cheap !

When you come to a roundabout, if people have to drive around its circumference it allows a natural filtering of traffic and a spacing where cars can give way but fit in the gaps created by that circumference. Many people ignore the painted ones and drive straight across them.

Last week I came down Leigh Terrace towards the quay to turn left to go to Tesco. A car was approaching from South Quay but the junction is a roundabout so there was no problem with me turning left as he turned right. However he ignored the roundabout painted on the road and turned immediate right, missing the offset roundabout altogether, and we had, shall we say a close encounter. I acknowledge that had a collision occurred, it may have been deemed my fault, however my point is with a proper roundabout there would have been no problem at all. 

It seems pointless to paint a roundabout on the road without either proper roundabout signs or making it a physical roundabout, just leaves room for interpretation.

5 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

The roundels only work because every who has half a brain cell treats it as a roundabout. Even visiting motorcycles/motorists on encountering it treat it as a round about and it works. Only local bellend's steaming across whilst shouting its a shared space its a shared space are the major problem. It has been shown the self sorting free for all ain't working so people are falling back on rules they know, give way to the right and away we flow. Just paint a fucking white dot in the centre and let people crack on.

Yep. Virtually everyone treats it like a roundabout which is the only reason it works.

• Like 3