Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

11 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I really despise driving / walking down the promenade these days for all the reasons mentioned previously.

Not wide enough
Parking spaces not big enough
Horse tram tracks too far apart making the promenade not wide enough
Horse tram signal system that cost an insane amount of money for horse trams to run another 15 metres
Utterly f'ing stupid horse tram tracks that cross over the middle of the road
Stupid signage telling people not to drive down the horse tramway due to ridiculous design of road layout in the first place
20mph speed limit
Unable to see signage telling me it's a 20mph speed limit
Roundels
Pedestrian walkway path on the sea side still looks as crap as it did previously with partially painted old lines due to not being refurbed
Tarmac cracking
Pink tarmac down the middle of the road
Not one member of Government taking any responsibility or suggesting anything is even slightly wrong with it

But other than that, it's fine

I got trapped behind a bus behind a horse tram the entire length of the tramway at the weekend.  

I would say it's unbelievable that they didn't design enough room to allow a bus to pass.

I also noticed the zebra crossing near the old Lloyds building has what I can only describe as two obelisks decreeing you are now on Loch Prom in the middle, which are actually the perfect height to hide children behind. 

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Yep. Virtually everyone treats it like a roundabout which is the only reason it works.

It also doesn't work for that reason. 

In the mornings traffic from Onchan back up along the Prom while some numpty sits at the roundel giving way to all the traffic coming down Broadway.

Same in the evenings if you try to get off Broadway and someone is sat there watching all the traffic coming out of town. 

2 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

In the mornings traffic from Onchan back up along the Prom while some numpty sits at the roundel giving way to all the traffic coming down Broadway.

Same in the evenings if you try to get off Broadway and someone is sat there watching all the traffic coming out of town. 

I sort of use them like a hybrid roundabout.  The vast majority of the time I'll do usual roundabout give way from the right. 

However in rush hour or when just really busy as you note you'll wait forever, so that's when you've got to have some balls and just go for the filter/merge and hope for the best. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0bserver said:

broadway should have stayed with trafic lights.

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Not quite. The signs are on the *exit* of the roundabout at Lord Street. I usually arrive from the bridge side, so whilst renegotiating the roundabout my eyes are at road level looking at other traffic - I did not see the signs until I went back on foot.

These images are on the other end. Yes, there is another sign on the other side of the road but because there is a pedestrian crossing there I am concentrating on the near-side looking for pedestrians.

SAM_0260-crop-1.JPG

SAM_0261-crop-1.JPG

How is that crossing lawful?

No zig-zags and vehicles (like high-sided vans) can park right up to the boundary of the crossing, largely obstructing drivers from seeing pedestrians waiting to cross.  And - of course - impeding the line of sight of pedestrians waiting to cross.

• Like 1

It’s about the 4th time I’ve been along the prom from the Sea Terminal this week. Everytime you use the road it takes you about 10 minutes to get to the Villa now the trams are on. It’s beyond shit. There is no parking and everyone is creeping along at 5mph looking for non existent spaces, if someone wants to park the road is now that narrow that they block the traffic reversing in, and then you join the queue for the roundel at Broadway on the roundel at the Rendezvous.  How can it have cost us £25M to end up with this absolute bag of shite? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

You can guarantee that some did very well out of it though.

Well while I was at the Villa roundel before I did see Mr Longworth wandering round surveying the chaos he has created. It took a lot of self control not to drive over his foot. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I really despise driving / walking down the promenade these days for all the reasons mentioned previously.

Not wide enough
Parking spaces not big enough
Horse tram tracks too far apart making the promenade not wide enough
Horse tram signal system that cost an insane amount of money for horse trams to run another 15 metres
Utterly f'ing stupid horse tram tracks that cross over the middle of the road
Stupid signage telling people not to drive down the horse tramway due to ridiculous design of road layout in the first place
20mph speed limit
Unable to see signage telling me it's a 20mph speed limit
Roundels
Pedestrian walkway path on the sea side still looks as crap as it did previously with partially painted old lines due to not being refurbed
Tarmac cracking
Pink tarmac down the middle of the road
Not one member of Government taking any responsibility or suggesting anything is even slightly wrong with it

But other than that, it's fine

The depressing thing is that most of those faults were predicted by many on here (and no doubt elsewhere) at the time they were proposed.  All ignored by the 'experts', who in reality had little experience or relevant qualifications, but endless confidence in their own certainty.

• Like 4

It was amusing to hear the chap (didn’t catch who he represented….) speaking on the Manx Radio news roundup between 5:30 and 6:00pm today. He said visitors were using the pink concrete as an overtaking lane and needed to observe the new to them road layouts. There was one point where he referenced the Roundels, mentioning the need for compliance with the Highway Code, but then saying the prom layout was unique and people needed to treat the prom as a shared space, fininishing by saying if people treated the Roundels as a roundabout things would work ok? And he says visitors are confused about pink concrete overtaking lanes!.

• Sad 2

Had a amble along the prom yesterday,  god it’s looking tired in places and could do with some money spending on it, seriously it’s a mish mash of a clusterf**k of great proportions to add the the rest of our premier league failures but can someone tell me if those blue rusting seafront railings that are cracking everywhere part of the original budget to be replaced or is that an inevitable extra cost. Apologies in advance if already discussed but it’s a long thread and I dip in and out.

• Like 1

The actual walkway is more than tired, was that supposed to be sorted and included in the budget or is that a separate entity .    There will be more disruption and millions spent when that gets done.   Is the playground repaired yet ?   and let us not forget the flume…….🤣

• Like 1