Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

14 minutes ago, hissingsid said:

The actual walkway is more than tired, was that supposed to be sorted and included in the budget or is that a separate entity .    There will be more disruption and millions spent when that gets done.   Is the playground repaired yet ?   and let us not forget the flume…….🤣

I think im right in saying the original plan was that the walkway wasn't going to be touched. But that didnt go well and cock ups meant they had to reroute services onto the walkway.

The rest is just a disgrace and guess they think we will forget about those issues . The Peggy and the cabbage are two others need to be added to the list. 

Edited by Numbnuts

The whole promenade project was an opportunity to show what the island could do and make it the envy of seaside towns elsewhere. 

We start in this 21 Century by putting horse tram tracks down the centre of the main road into the Island's Capital city. They are made wider apart than previously installed to take up even more room at even greater cost  and cause even more traffic chaos. We installed junctions with minimum vision for both pedestrians and drivers. We installed  roundels whatever they are and tell no one how to ise them. We mock visitors who haven't a clue how these work. We complain that people drive on the pink bits. 

We invite thousands of bikers over and are surprised when they park on pavements. 

And to do this we make a house builder as the main contractor. 

I could go on and on as every aspect seems to be as ridiculous as the last. Yes we have a smoother road than before and I'm sure government officials will say we got excellent value for whatever unknown budget figure they will quote. But even they must realise there is little that can be said to justify this embarrassing saga. 

• Like 3

... and ban vans and SUVs from parking by crossings and get rid of the crossing on the north side of Broadway, far too close to the roundel while motorists attention is on traffic and get rid of that ridiculous 'siding' for the Trams and only run the Trams in the south lane track to allow more space in the north bound road and and and................

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It was amazing how quickly the "My Prom" media publications suddenly stopped as the whole thing started to unravel and all involved started to distance themselves from the saga

I was expecting a name change to "Your Prom . Nothing to do with me mate" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, emesde said:

It was amazing how quickly the "My Prom" media publications suddenly stopped as the whole thing started to unravel and all involved started to distance themselves from the saga

I was expecting a name change to "Your Prom . Nothing to do with me mate" 

Just wait. The IOM Awards for Excellence are coming up soon. It will probably win the DOI the Best New Prom in the East of the Island award in the Best New Prom in the East of the Island category 😂

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, emesde said:

No doubt people will want to distance themselves from the project - but at the same time wonder how to give themselves credit for a successful outcome.

When this kind of informational setup is designed, everyone is thrilled about it. As time goes by, non-one can be bothered to make the not-inconsiderable effort to keep all the details up-to-date. That is just tedious, irrelevant, stuff.

Similarly with all DoI magnificent granite and plate-glass schemes - the thrill is in the design. Keeping it clean and tidy is irrelevant.

The attached images I took while hanging around gov. buildings (the place where multi-million award-winning schemes are conceived) waiting for the Ranson hearings. Millions to spend on cyan and blue tarmac on the prom., but no money for Trigger and his brush.

SAM_0265-crop-2.JPG

SAM_0267-crop-2.JPG

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

No doubt people will want to distance themselves from the project - but at the same time wonder how to give themselves credit for a successful outcome.

When this kind of informational setup is designed, everyone is thrilled about it. As time goes by, non-one can be bothered to make the not-inconsiderable effort to keep all the details up-to-date. That is just tedious, irrelevant, stuff.

Similarly with all DoI magnificent granite and plate-glass schemes - the thrill is in the design. Keeping it clean and tidy is irrelevant.

The attached images I took while hanging around gov. buildings (the place where multi-million award-winning schemes are conceived) waiting for the Ranson hearings. Millions to spend on cyan and blue tarmac on the prom., but no money for Trigger and his brush.

SAM_0265-crop-2.JPG

SAM_0267-crop-2.JPG

That is a disgrace. Where is that I can’t place it from the picture?