Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How could a contractor bid for a project by tender based upon a 'concept'?

I'm not saying the plans were good. I'm not defending the project, it failed for all sorts of reasons. 

My view if how it failed is a bit different to everyone else's that's all.

Everyone bids against the same design and measure. The winning contractor puts in claims for compensation events where there are variations to the original scope.

I recall much proclamation of‘early contractor involvement’ which is code for it’s not designed yet

• Like 2

2 hours ago, english zloty said:

Everyone bids against the same design and measure. The winning contractor puts in claims for compensation events where there are variations to the original scope.

I recall much proclamation of‘early contractor involvement’ which is code for it’s not designed yet

You are absolutely correct.

35 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

You are absolutely correct.

If you go back and read the management meeting notes on MyProm site you will see many references from Auldyn to the fact no plans were available etc. Especially when they were getting questioned about time scales and when areas would be started/finished . I became aware of this problem through a good friend who worked for a leading sub contractor involved in a particular area of the contract. You by all means stick to your version of events.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

If you go back and read the management meeting notes on MyProm site you will see many references from Auldyn to the fact no plans were available etc. Especially when they were getting questioned about time scales and when areas would be started/finished . I became aware of this problem through a good friend who worked for a leading sub contractor involved in a particular area of the contract. You by all means stick to your version of events.

I think you are getting confused

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

They were talking about locating underground services. It's was a risk that everyone knew about in advance. Sewers, drains and water mains. Laid in a Victorian era. 

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

They were talking about locating underground services. It's was a risk that everyone knew about in advance. Sewers, drains and water mains. Laid in a Victorian era. 

It was all perfectly avoidable if they had done a full geophysics survey of the promenade. 90% of the utilities would have been located with a good degree of accuracy. 

Instead that carpetbagger Harmer and the Clowns at the Sea Terminal charged in like a bull in a chinashop and the rest is now history. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roxanne said:

That's quite sad to read. That's when we all thought we were going to get something amazing. We were full of hope. We knew that something would go wrong but no-one but no-one  could have envisioned it ending up as the cluster fuck that it is and the cluster fuck in it's planning and execution.

Matt used to post on here @manxfisherman.  He was a good lad.  Spent hours sticking up for and explaining traffic light management. Had the patience of a saint. Was frequently trolled. When Matt said that ten years ago he really did believe it was possible.  We all did.  That's why it's such a kick in the teeth. 

I think we all really knew it would be the disaster that it is!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Spent hours sticking up for and explaining traffic light management. 

Was he the guy some forums members spent ages trying to explain that the light at Groves Road / Mew Castletown Road were wrong and would lead to an accident? When he finally grasped it they were changed soon afterwards

i thought he set up some sort of cat kennels as a sideline. 

16 minutes ago, Bandits said:

It’s very clear Bawden is Happier Diner. Are you all really, really, stupid? 

Nah, Matt was a good lad, one of the coal facers, shame he hasn't posted on here for a good long while, makes one wonder if he was gagged...?

Happier Diner however comes from much, much further up the structure IMO....

59 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Matt used to post on here @manxfisherman.  He was a good lad.  Spent hours sticking up for and explaining traffic light management. Had the patience of a saint. Was frequently trolled. When Matt said that ten years ago he really did believe it was possible.  We all did.  That's why it's such a kick in the teeth. 

He posts on the twitter these days. He's a little erratic.