Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

The really interesting bit will be if Minister Thomas comes back to Tynwald to beg for millions to extend the horse trams. 

It's interesting because when you view it against the backdrop of Government finances being rinsed to pay for energy/cost of living help, there's going to be less than the contents of Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.  £250m was being bandied about in the Prospect by a usually reliable Treasury mandarin last week  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The really interesting bit will be if Minister Thomas comes back to Tynwald to beg for millions to extend the horse trams. 

To be honest I bet they’ve already identified part of the £42M earmarked for green initiatives to spend on this green form of carbon-neutral Victorian commuter transportation to get the rest of the prom completed. What’s greener than a horse drawn environmentally friendly tramway. It might be 150 years old but they’ll reinvent it as being part of our green future just so they can tap into the sustainable bond money. 

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

If 'you' were one of the people who clamoured for the Prom, the alleged 'Gateway to the Island' needed to be revamped, it had a few dips and bumps and potholes, was it unpassable? No matter that we don't know how our CS and politicians will perform this work, how the DoI, Auldyn, BS will perform the scheme, 'You' are part of the problem, you asked for it, you got it, it's 'your' fault! You should have known better, we know Govt performance of the idea into reality does not meet our original ideal?

Why did you support the idea?

'You' have no right now to complain of the debacle in hindsight, to take the moral highroad!!!

It is 'your' fault!!!

I believe the catalyst for the prom was complaints made by pokerstars about how embarrassing it was have a third world road on the way to their HQ, so blame Josem.

8 hours ago, 0bserver said:

It's interesting because when you view it against the backdrop of Government finances being rinsed to pay for energy/cost of living help, there's going to be less than the contents of Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard.  £250m was being bandied about in the Prospect by a usually reliable Treasury mandarin last week  

The Treasury guys are telling everyone there’s no money left in pot but everyone is still asking for money eg health £18m, unions, MUA £26m etc , also pension schemes will need more cash next year when inflation rises kick in April 

9 hours ago, Kopek said:

If 'you' were one of the people who clamoured for the Prom, the alleged 'Gateway to the Island' needed to be revamped, it had a few dips and bumps and potholes, was it unpassable? No matter that we don't know how our CS and politicians will perform this work, how the DoI, Auldyn, BS will perform the scheme, 'You' are part of the problem, you asked for it, you got it, it's 'your' fault! You should have known better, we know Govt performance of the idea into reality does not meet our original ideal?

Why did you support the idea?

'You' have no right now to complain of the debacle in hindsight, to take the moral highroad!!!

It is 'your' fault!!!

if the prom looked like the pretty pictures that adorned the sea terminal foyer then most folks wouldn't be moaning , the fact is it looks fuck all like the pretty pictures..

Edited by WTF

5 hours ago, Banker said:

The Treasury guys are telling everyone there’s no money left in pot but everyone is still asking for money eg health £18m, unions, MUA £26m etc , also pension schemes will need more cash next year when inflation rises kick in April 

That's because people are only looking out for their own interests, to maintain their living standards against inflation. They vote for, entrust and pay people (politicians and CS with expertise in the matters) to manage the economy. Certainly, some things are and were outwith their control; others are and were not and now represent huge failure.

This now needs to be explained out if necessary and the true facts and figures of the situation made public if the pay and Departmental demands are to be reduced. We can't have a Treasury that's skint and Skelly & Co shouting that there's billions in reserves at the same time.

12 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

They should have done this with the lot of them instead of those dodgy new rails.

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/horse-tram-up-for-sale/

fantastic,  i bet if you tried doing tours of the TT course TT week plod would suddenly find the vehicle unroadworthy, i'm not seeing any seatbelts ??  this will be as road legal as it was allowed to be for use by whatever branch of government wanted the toy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WTF said:

fantastic,  i bet if you tried doing tours of the TT course TT week plod would suddenly find the vehicle unroadworthy, i'm not seeing any seatbelts ??  this will be as road legal as it was allowed to be for use by whatever branch of government wanted the toy.

I get your point but plod definitely turn a blind eye TT week to the Purple Helmets as there's no way any of those bikes are street legal. 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, WTF said:

I have to say I was concerned about seatbelts but I bet as they we aren’t required in 1896 there’s some sort of requirement not to fit like classic cars built before a certain age. A fleet of these would be brilliant on the prom though. 

19 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

I have to say I was concerned about seatbelts but I bet as they we aren’t required in 1896 there’s some sort of requirement not to fit like classic cars built before a certain age. A fleet of these would be brilliant on the prom though. 

Or they could turn them into Electric Trams

Horsecar0014.jpeg

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Not really promenade but does anyone know why the old bus site continues to be used as a free for all car park? 
Surely DBC or IOMG who gave this site away should take it back & do something with it like housing or anything!!

Kane Ltd signed a contract, of which there were some details made public - but I cannot find them now (Google does not solve every problem).

I recall there were milestones set; surely something should have been contractually completed by now.