Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

Just now, Kopek said:

As in my post above, do we need an old fashioned beach??? Who is going to use it???

It’s not about having an old fashioned beach?  It’s about having a beach that by being properly managed reduces the need to spend money on a stupid seawall and reduces the cost of clearing up after a storm or high tide

It also had the benefit of looking nicer and just generally being a nicer place to be.

We wil never see people on the beach like we did years ago, but a Douglas must currently be the least utilised town beach on the island.  Peel, Ramsey, Port Erin are all busy on nice days.  Douglas should be as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

We wil never see people on the beach like we did years ago

I did not arrive here until the very late 1980s, which does not seem that long ago to me. I do remember walking down the sandy beach and having to step over bodies lying on the beach. It is definitely not in the same condition now.

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

No one uses the beach in that manner anymore, as a rate payer, I'd be pretty miffed if long thousands had been spent to keep the beach in it's traditional condition 

You're already/still contributing to the long thousands to have seaweed shunted around?

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The extension to the breakwater stopped the natural scouring of the beach as I recall.  

Were the groynes removed or just allowed to be buried? 

I have a vague recollection that their removal was a matter of some debate within DBC some years ago, a Cllr Chatel might have had something to do with it?

Groynes were not buried, they were wrll down towards low water mark. Which is now showing bare rock, they were not repaired just left to fall apart. Tried fitting some about 15 odd years ago, only went down about three feet with blob of concrete on end. Was pitifully seeing them trying to dig a hole in wet sand, numpty's never heard of pile driving

12 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

I have a vague recollection that their removal was a matter of some debate within DBC some years ago, a Cllr Chatel might have had something to do with it?

I'll have to read through the notes but safe to say Douglas beach has been a long time discussion point with various ideas and schemes being discussed to improve flow and thereby sand quality, and also fix the issue of sand buildup by the wall. 

12 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Groynes were not buried, they were wrll down towards low water mark. Which is now showing bare rock, they were not repaired just left to fall apart. Tried fitting some about 15 odd years ago, only went down about three feet with blob of concrete on end. Was pitifully seeing them trying to dig a hole in wet sand, numpty's never heard of pile driving

They seemed to just disappear though. No news and I never saw anything happening. Just walking the dog on the beach one day and I thought, hang on, whee have all the groynes gone?

As the Welsh would say, "there they are, gone!"