Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

7 hours ago, finlo said:

And to rub salt into the wounds Bell categorically stated that the government would not step in and pick up the tab for them!

that was his only lie though.   

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, emesde said:

Don't know that expression.  Is it cockney rhyming?

As in Pony and Trap =Crap

Or is it something else?

Absolutely correct, something that is a bit pony is a bit crap. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The fantasy of running the electric trams on the prom was never put before Tynwald as a proposal nor sanctioned by them.

Yet the engineering to accommodate this went ahead anyway, absorbing the funding that was democratically granted (twice) to see the horse trams running the full length of the "redeveloped" Promenade.

Then came the deflection, hand-wringing and excuses. Plus the expensive pay offs and superannuation.

What was not, nor will ever be seen was any accountability nor sanction. The taxpayers and what was supposed to be "unique heritage" are the losers.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Pillar of society was our Alan …..not !! 

Departed as CM almost 8 years now. Perhaps we should start a discussion on the legacies of his latter years in Tynwald; if not the size of his pension.

39 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Departed as CM almost 8 years now. Perhaps we should start a discussion on the legacies of his latter years in Tynwald; if not the size of his pension.

I see him in the gym sometimes. I reckon he can still benchpress more than anyone in Tynwald now. 

Just now, Happier diner said:

I thought a pony was £25

As an adjective, it is crap, as a noun it is an amount of money (not sure how much) and as a verb it is to settle an amount, ' you better pony up for your share of the bill'.   

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, emesde said:

So you could  :-

Buy a pony for a pony that was a bit  pony .

Ah got it 🤔😂

Not quite, you could pony up for a pony pony with a pony. 

ETA Translation: You could pay for a crap pony for £25. 

Edited by Gladys

23 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

From memory the Corpy only lost about £100K a year on the trams and a lot of that was due to them being over-loaded with central managerial overheads (obviously when they got rid of the trams, the number of managers didn't reduce).

The Corpy lost over £250k running the horse tramway in 2015 and called time on it in 2016. Which, as I say, isn't for me to judge other than, whatever premiums a heritage tram network can charge, it's never going to pay for itself.

• Like 1