Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

26 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Bet that wasn't cheap!

The press reported that a UK company was going to do the job.

"A UK company will come to the Island next week to 'remove rust' from the horse tram tracks on Douglas Prom.

'Vossloh' will get underway next Friday (July 15) for just under two weeks - finishing on July 26.

However, MyProm says it shouldn't cause any disruption to traffic flow.

It adds the reason for the work is to 'reduce the noise generated from the rails as the trams pass over"

Although it says it's an English company the vans were German with German plates and registered address in Germany.. ..Of course this all happened at a time DOI was having a change of Minister, Tim Crookall left in June and was replaced by Chris Thomas.

When you have lots of reorganisation it's good because you can use the ,"Bart Simpson " excuse for everything ......it wasn't me..!

33 minutes ago, La Colombe said:

You're thinking of "I didn't do it".   

Yeah I think your right. Thanks I must start watching them again. The sentiments the same though .🤣

Rails rusting! Well fancy that. It happens to railways across the world. The top part (where the wheels go) would need derusting before use but the traffic then keeps them clean 

2 hours ago, emesde said:

It adds the reason for the work is to 'reduce the noise generated from the rails as the trams pass over"

It could be argued that it was a failure. If you've ridden on the horsetrams since they reopened (I have), the ride experience and noise is a little like sitting atop of a stonecrusher.

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

It could be argued that it was a failure. If you've ridden on the horsetrams since they reopened (I have), the ride experience and noise is a little like sitting atop of a stonecrusher.

The whole prom was a fiasco, the people that caused it should not be allowed to walk away scott free. Most have walked away not only scott free but with pockets bulging with cash and pensions to boot. Should all be brought back and made to answer like the post office affair , and consequences imposed if found wanting. Jail time and removals of money would sit well with me.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

That is a good point. Calling JW do we have the ability to have a statutory enquiry like the Post Office one? If we do then we should use it for the Promenade and the Liverpool Terminal. 

Edited by NoTail
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NoTail said:

That is a good point. Calling JW do we have the ability to have a statutory enquiry like the Post Office one? If we do then we should use it for the Promenade and the Liverpool Terminal. 

But lots of those accountable are the very same who make that decision to have an inquiry . And first you’d have to apportion responsibility for the contract parts and who was pulling the strings. In my view nobody was apart from those with a vested interest in the whole sorry affair. My view has always been I’ve never seen such a disjointed incompetent run contract ever. Nobody seemed to be overseeing it as end results would confirm. And Longtail needs to be in the mix for sure. As for the Liverpool terminal , good luck with that and you would have to go back as far as Gawne  if you wanted it doing properly . And remember this lot won’t care and are just filling in time before the election. Lots won’t stand and others won’t get in. 

Edited by Numbnuts

1 hour ago, NoTail said:

Liverpool has already been subject to a PAC inquiry, not sure about the prom. An inquiry like the Post Office inquiry would cost many millions and with what outcome? 

The PO inquiry is a whole different kettle of very stinky fish. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Liverpool has already been subject to a PAC inquiry, not sure about the prom. An inquiry like the Post Office inquiry would cost many millions and with what outcome?

We are where we are, pensions and well-remunerated departures all round, stump up taxpayers.

Gladys

I get your point. The implication of your post though is that we can let incompetent and possibly criminal behaviour get away with it because it's a bit expensive. The small time crook can be locked up. Not the guy/girl who can screw the taxpayer from £Ms.

A system has to be available to stop chances from nicking our money. 

7 minutes ago, NoTail said:

Gladys

I get your point. The implication of your post though is that we can let incompetent and possibly criminal behaviour get away with it because it's a bit expensive. The small time crook can be locked up. Not the guy/girl who can screw the taxpayer from £Ms.

A system has to be available to stop chances from nicking our money. 

By no means am I excusing the complete cock up that both projects have turned out to be, but what would an inquiry achieve? Can pensions be removed?  Doubt it.  Would it find anyone who was solely/primarily responsible?  Doubt that too as it was the 'system' which allowed bad decisions to be made and, remember, Liverpool was the 'will of Tynwald'. 

As for criminal behaviour, is there even a hint of that?  We do not have malfeasance in public office legislation, so what criminal offence has been committed?

Not happy at all, but throwing several million more down those rabbit holes just does not seem to be a good use of money.  

What is needed is real evidence that steps have been taken to avoid the same cock ups from happening again and when someone says 'names will be named', do that and also introduce legislation that carries real accountability, not just of the CS but of the politicos in charge. 

Liverpool, I am sure, was the result of political pressure to 'have a bit of the IOM in the UK'.  Why?  We have never had that, why is it needed now? 

• Like 4