Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

53 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

As far as I am concerned anybody waiting at one of these faux crossing for me to stop will be there a while, if someone is in the middle of the road I will not run them down. But the DOI have a track record of illegally marked crossing's which has not turned out well for them or unfortunately one of our residents. Crossings should conform and be clearly set out, unlike any of the crossings on the south side of the prom. They seem to revert to standard markings the further north you go.

If people are in the road for any reason...legitimate crossing or not, you have to give way...or you're committing an offence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There may be a difference in how the law sees things (but I do not know).

If someone just steps out into the road and you hit him, a defence might be to say that he just stepped out in front of you.

If you hit someone on a (proper) pedestrian crossing, you have a problem.

41 minutes ago, Alanbellend said:

Is there a reason why the whole stretch outside the Villa is totally log-jammed today? I couldn’t be arsed waiting and turned off as the queue was massive and I just assumed it was another act of gross incompetence by the DOi.

Too many cars.

1 hour ago, Alanbellend said:

Is there a reason why the whole stretch outside the Villa is totally log-jammed today? I couldn’t be arsed waiting and turned off as the queue was massive and I just assumed it was another act of gross incompetence by the DOi.

Visit Isle of Man's new initiative - Lumberjack competition.

1 hour ago, Alanbellend said:

Google is your friend.  

IMG_2261.jpeg

IMG_2262.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Tinpot said:

Why not just stop and let them cross?  What harm does it do to be nice?

Even if you have a clear run you should be doing 20mph or less anyway, most of the time you are just crawling along in a line of traffic.

It’s meant to promote a sense of shared space and slow traffic down making everyone a bit more thoughtful and courteous and to my mind it works.  If you are in a hurry go the other way

The problem with the false crossings is that they are only about 10 yards from an official zebra crossing. I will stop at a zebra crossing, no problem, but resent any suggestion that i should stop for anyone who can't be ars3d to walk another 10 yards, particularly when they are young enough to be my grandchildren, and look ultra fit. I walk to a zebra crossing. Why can't they?

If it's supposed to be a shared space, there shouldn't be any marked crossing points. People and cars should just use free spaces to crawl into/through.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, monasqueen said:

The problem with the false crossings is that they are only about 10 yards from an official zebra crossing. I will stop at a zebra crossing, no problem, but resent any suggestion that i should stop for anyone who can't be ars3d to walk another 10 yards, particularly when they are young enough to be my grandchildren, and look ultra fit. I walk to a zebra crossing. Why can't they?

If it's supposed to be a shared space, there shouldn't be any marked crossing points. People and cars should just use free spaces to crawl into/through.

The new prom was designed by idiots, built by idiots...for use by all too many idiots.

4 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

Sounds like you need to chill.  There is no need for them to walk another ten yards, just chill and let them cross, you are probably going to have to stop again at the crossing anyway.

I don’t see the drama or the need to be flying along the prom and not stopping.

If someone parks the car on the diagonal parking and walks to the front of it obviously looking to cross, and it is safe for me to slow and create a break in the traffic and let them do so then I just do.  Why wouldn’t you?  It’s not like it’s a 40mph route.

Patience and courtesy go a long way in a stressful world.  Why make little things stressful when they don’t need to be?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

When are you going to stop posting. 😁

Don’t even know who that is aimed at.  You should learn how to quote people so we have a clue what you are on about.

If it was aimed at me, I wasn’t intending to.  Do you think people shouldn’t post just because you disagree with them? (they are right and you are wrong )

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

There may be a difference in how the law sees things (but I do not know).

If someone just steps out into the road and you hit him, a defence might be to say that he just stepped out in front of you.

If you hit someone on a (proper) pedestrian crossing, you have a problem.

Sorry. That's rubbish. Either scenario.  You have a problem. 

looks like the  make believe crossings are  failing      the one near the Gaiety has been breaking up and the DOI are doing the usual tarmac replacement job , they should do that with all the fake crossings before someone  mistakes one for the real thing and is seriously injured  time someone was held to account for this promenade mess  , inferior materials piss poor workmanship  and a complete lack of supervision by government , 

• Like 2