Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

35 minutes ago, Omobono said:

looks like the  make believe crossings are  failing      the one near the Gaiety has been breaking up and the DOI are doing the usual tarmac replacement job , they should do that with all the fake crossings before someone  mistakes one for the real thing and is seriously injured  time someone was held to account for this promenade mess  , inferior materials piss poor workmanship  and a complete lack of supervision by government , 

You're not from round here are you?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Sorry. That's rubbish. Either scenario.  You have a problem. 

If somebody just steps out into the road in front of you where there is no pedestrian crossing, and with no warning whatsoever, why would that be a problem?

Are you talking about a civil or a criminal problem?

In either case, what has the driver done wrong, and/or what could they have done to avoid the unforeseeable?

1 hour ago, Ghost Ship said:

If somebody just steps out into the road in front of you where there is no pedestrian crossing, and with no warning whatsoever, why would that be a problem?

In either case, what has the driver done wrong, and/or what could they have done to avoid the unforeseeable?

There is a priority for pedestrians so if you are a shit driver with shit awareness then stop driving. Though really I would presume that taking keys off all pensioners would stop this ever being a problem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

There is a priority for pedestrians so if you are a shit driver with shit awareness then stop driving. Though really I would presume that taking keys off all pensioners would stop this ever being a problem.

Think that through so how are pensioners going to get to go to the shops especially if they live in the countryside, subsidised taxis buses, maybe have a rethink

Just now, alpha-acid said:

Think that through so how are pensioners going to get to go to the shops especially if they live in the countryside, subsidised taxis buses, maybe have a rethink

My gran lived to 98 and walked from the country to town daily, it is the isle of man, piss easy for an old lady but not an old English drunk.

7 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

If a pedestrian steps out on front of you and you kill them you are for the high jump, regardless of whether there is a crossing or not. The only way out is if you can demonstrate that you could not have foreseen it, eg someone ran out between parked cars. Criminal and civil problem for you. 

You see nipping out between cars problem every day on the prom, people to lazy to use the marked crossings although only yards away preferring to wait lurking between cars because they are directly across from the car. Could never get my head round why the diagonal parking is on that side, always thought it made more sense to be on the same side as people want to be and a dam sight safer as it would reduce the need to actually cross a busy through way in the first place. No doubt its a traffic calming measure, use pedestrians to slow traffic down or is that just cynical. 

11 hours ago, alpha-acid said:

how are pensioners going to get to go to the shops especially if they live in the countryside, subsidised taxis buses,

That’s what they do up north, so seems like a good idea to roll it out elsewhere.

4 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

You see nipping out between cars problem every day on the prom, people to lazy to use the marked crossings although only yards away preferring to wait lurking between cars because they are directly across from the car. Could never get my head round why the diagonal parking is on that side, always thought it made more sense to be on the same side as people want to be and a dam sight safer as it would reduce the need to actually cross a busy through way in the first place. No doubt its a traffic calming measure, use pedestrians to slow traffic down or is that just cynical. 

It’s a 20mph.  You aren’t going to not see a pedestrian and be able to stop if you are observing the speed limit and being aware (exception being a kid that is less than three foot tall, but they shouldn’t be loose anyway).

Yes the fact that there are people around should and does act as a traffic calming measure)

Lots of "I won't do this, I won't do that, I don't care about that" in this thread.

You will care if you run someone over, regardless of who's at fault. It will be in your mind for the rest of your life....all to save maybe 10 seconds somewhere on a journey?

Ask anyone who's experienced it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

When I saw this clip and pathetic rant today, I couldn’t help thinking those on here who moan on about “the non crossings” and the fact that they would probably support this cyclists looney rant at a taxi entering a cycle lane.