Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

17 hours ago, HiVibes said:

My gran lived to 98 and walked from the country to town daily, it is the isle of man, piss easy for an old lady but not an old English drunk.

I can walk miles, thank you, ex Fell Runner. Because I am a Brewer it does not follow that I am a drunk. I do have beer to deliver and never drink and drive. So maybe have another rethink, idiot

24 minutes ago, Kopek said:

If a pedestrian runs out between parked cars and hits your car. Guess who pays for the loss NCD? You do. Grrrrr!

If I was driving close enough to a line of parked cars that if someone ran out from between them I could hit them without being able to stop in time. I would slow down.

You should be looking over cars and through the glass of parked cars if there are pedestrians about.

That is not to say that in certain circumstances it couldn’t happen to anyone, but defensive driving is a skill that everyone should learn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tinpot said:

If I was driving close enough to a line of parked cars that if someone ran out from between them I could hit them without being able to stop in time. I would slow down.

You should be looking over cars and through the glass of parked cars if there are pedestrians about.

That is not to say that in certain circumstances it couldn’t happen to anyone, but defensive driving is a skill that everyone should learn.

Absolutely spot on. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2024 at 11:32 PM, HiVibes said:

There is a priority for pedestrians so if you are a shit driver with shit awareness then stop driving. Though really I would presume that taking keys off all pensioners would stop this ever being a problem.

I think by a long way, more accidents are caused by drivers at the other end of the age spectrum.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/cracks-appear-in-douglas-promenade-seawall-but-officials-assure-fixes-are-underway/

Another great advert for the Island. Can't wait to see how it holds up after being hit by a few waves in the winter.

You can’t really fix cracks which leave an aesthetically pleasing result . My bet is they will fill the cracks , and it won’t have fully settled yet so more are likely , and then just watch they will paint the concrete to hide the problems. Once painted there’s no way back from having to paint it regularly . 

Edited by Numbnuts

18 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

You can’t really fix cracks which leave an aesthetically pleasing result . My bet is they will fill the cracks , and it won’t have fully settled yet so more are likely , and then just watch they will paint the concrete to hide the problems. Once painted there’s no way back from having to paint it regularly . 

So no different from the railings that were painted..... regularly?