Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

8 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I was referring to the airport radar, not the promenade...?

From what I understand it would be interesting to review the tendering and procurement process for the radar installation !!

I do know that throughout the time it was being installed and couldn't pass muster, staff were sworn to secrecy and obviously threatened with god knows what, I think we can safely say the radar purchase and installation was less than transparent !

However the new (old) radar seems to work. 

20 minutes ago, asitis said:

However the new (old) radar seems to work. 

So does/did the old one. For a long time after it was "condemned" as being life expired.

Be interesting to see how long the new one lasts in comparison.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

So does/did the old one. For a long time after it was "condemned" as being life expired.

Be interesting to see how long the new one lasts in comparison.

The old radar ..you know the one that was condemned etc and used as a excuse to have to get a new one has worked along side the new one all along . It had too as no other options . Bit like the excuse to by the diesel train . Everything would grind to a halt if we don't make the purchase . In both cases though they didn't so more lies . I believe the new radar was to triangulate signals from other similar stations but suorise surprise there isn't any . Not sure of the technicalities involved but it now works without bouncing off other ones apparently . It's definitely a hot potato as I've asked many many times different MHK's etc and people in the know and it's met with a deathly silence ..I've enven a friend who quite recently left the fire service down there and nothing from him either ..my lips are sealed ! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

I've formed the opinion that IoMG has money that it has to get rid of. It has to be the only explanation. How it came by it, I don't know because the populace are continually advised that fiscal strictures are necessary along with the attendant taxes and charges.

The reality is somewhat different. It's like the kid's old comic cartoon where the guy had to spend as much as he could in order to break into the next million. Funds have to be disposed of by any means or expense. Even if it means huge expense to buy complete shite such as dodgy radars and unusable Cabbages. Let's buy a fleet of minibuses too and then see if we can find a use for them.

Up to £38M now for Liverpool Terminal. Obviously the initial propositions were far too cheap and this is an ideal conduit to get rid of some more. How much more can we throw at Douglas prom? Quick, make some more design and management cock ups. Rip up serviceable stuff across the Island and replace it whilst leaving knackered stuff for people to struggle with.

I see they've just burned another £20k on granite obelisks to mark the coastal footpath too (rows ongoing about the lack of Manx engraving apparently). The fact that half the footpath is un-navigable or doesn't exist because of lack of maintenance doesn't seem to matter.

It's all about huge amounts of money just being spent on appearance over substance. Everywhere.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

I've formed the opinion that IoMG has money that it has to get rid of. It has to be the only explanation. How it came by it, I don't know because the populace are continually advised that fiscal strictures are necessary along with the attendant taxes and charges.

The reality is somewhat different. It's like the kid's old comic cartoon where the guy had to spend as much as he could in order to break into the next million. Funds have to be disposed of by any means or expense. Even if it means huge expense to buy complete shite such as dodgy radars and unusable Cabbages. Let's buy a fleet of minibuses too and then see if we can find a use for them.

Up to £38M now for Liverpool Terminal. Obviously the initial propositions were far too cheap and this is an ideal conduit to get rid of some more. How much more can we throw at Douglas prom? Quick, make some more design and management cock ups. Rip up serviceable stuff across the Island and replace it whilst leaving knackered stuff for people to struggle with.

I see they've just burned another £20k on granite obelisks to mark the coastal footpath too (rows ongoing about the lack of Manx engraving apparently). The fact that half the footpath is un-navigable or doesn't exist because of lack of maintenance doesn't seem to matter.

It's all about huge amounts of money just being spent on appearance over substance. Everywhere.

Harbour regeneration and Grandstand add to that  plus flood works 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Harbour regeneration and Grandstand add to that  plus flood works 

The flood works I can see the worth of, PROVIDED that they're properly executed. Otherwise some of our population centres are going to become uninhabitable.

The rest would be pipe dreams if Govt didn't seem to have money burning a hole in its pocket. IF it all really exists (and it's not coming from another scam somewhere that's likely to get stamped on when it's found out), perhaps they might like to start putting some aside to deal with the growing PS pensions black hole for example. Because that will have to be fully funded shortly which will either be taxation revenue from every man and his dog or a change of legislation to draw from the N.I. fund.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

3 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

The flood works I can see the worth of, PROVIDED that they're properly executed. Otherwise some of our population centres are going to become uninhabitable.

The rest would be pipe dreams if Govt didn't seem to have money burning a hole in its pocket. IF it all really exists (and it's not coming from another scam somewhere that's likely to get stamped on when it's found out), perhaps they might like to start putting some aside to deal with the growing PS pensions black hole for example. Because that will have to be fully funded shortly which will either be taxation revenue from every man and his dog or a change of legislation to draw from the N.I. fund.

Agreed it's a great worry and they don't seem to give a toss about the population having you fund the shortfall. And they so should !! That shortfall should be a priority to ease the burden on the working population. The likes of the Bridge at the Grandstand annoys me . I've been and looked at again now twice and I cannot see why this had been written off .. I've actually taken the trouble to chat to a really good welder who knows the job and asked the question if 2 good welders were put on it for  a week or so could it be fixed without having a new one tendered for . Yes was the positive answer , it could easily be resurrected with that sort of timescale but with added time to fabricate and then get parts galvanized across . There's parts that have rusted and just not been maintained of painted ..DOI management again not giving a toss . So a couple of weeks every year with a paintbrush or write the whole thing off at probably  £400k cost for new. Just wrong !! My estimate by the way..bet I'm not far out or even on the light side . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

Would one really good welder be able to do it in a fortnight?

Subjective but I'd say yes.. remember they would have to lift stuff . Two would be so much easier . Also mind blowing stuck up there this time of year on your own. Yes def a job for two . 

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Agreed it's a great worry and they don't seem to give a toss about the population having you fund the shortfall. And they so should !! That shortfall should be a priority to ease the burden on the working population. The likes of the Bridge at the Grandstand annoys me . I've been and looked at again now twice and I cannot see why this had been written off .. I've actually taken the trouble to chat to a really good welder who knows the job and asked the question if 2 good welders were put on it for  a week or so could it be fixed without having a new one tendered for . Yes was the positive answer , it could easily be resurrected with that sort of timescale but with added time to fabricate and then get parts galvanized across . There's parts that have rusted and just not been maintained of painted ..DOI management again not giving a toss . So a couple of weeks every year with a paintbrush or write the whole thing off at probably  £400k cost for new. Just wrong !! My estimate by the way..bet I'm not far out or even on the light side . 

You and I both know it is not a case of just welding it. Nor is it a case of painting a galvanised structure. We aren’t all green and wet behind the ears on here btw

I would rather they spent nothing on the TT stuff and it ended. It is criminal that a new grandstand is even thought about.

Edited by dilligaf

3 hours ago, dilligaf said:

You and I both know it is not a case of just welding it. Nor is it a case of painting a galvanised structure. We aren’t all green and wet behind the ears on here btw

I would rather they spent nothing on the TT stuff and it ended. It is criminal that a new grandstand is even thought about.

That's not happening for a lot of years and if you think it is you are wet behind the ears ..And I don't  think you are . The sooner the management structure are reigned in the better . Till there capabilities are scrutinized it's going to be the norm to continue to waste money . One day the money's running out and you know what it could get over the next few years . Then what !  Yes I know I'm cintridicting myself in this statement ...Ideally for IOMG the TT will continue to benefit the Island but it is precarious as you know hence my contradiction . 

Edited by Numbnuts

9 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

That's not happening for a lot of years and if you think it is you are wet behind the ears ..And I don't  think you are . The sooner the management structure are reigned in the better . Till there capabilities are scrutinized it's going to be the norm to continue to waste money . One day the money's running out and you know what it could get over the next few years . Then what !  Yes I know I'm cintridicting myself in this statement ...Ideally for IOMG the TT will continue to benefit the Island but it is precarious as you know hence my contradiction . 

reigned in? They're not royalty, you know.