Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

10 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

Every £1 spent locally is worth £1.83 to the Manx economy, and buying from local retailers means the world to the person selling them.

how does that work then?

It's a throwback from Eddie Teare's random number generator days in treasury!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

Every £1 spent locally is worth £1.83 to the Manx economy, and buying from local retailers means the world to the person selling them.

how does that work then?

How does it work when the DOI are successfully preventing people from supporting local retailers on Douglas prom?

ETA I wonder if it's associated with the VAT repayment calculation in some way?

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrPB said:

It’s not surprising when they bolt the lines directly on top of about 2 feet of solid concrete. You’d have thought they’d have thought of the lack of give and vibration in any of the new set up when they designed it. It will be great for people to come to the IOM and get woken up by the early morning horse tram grating it’s way across the prom. 

You are giving them way too much credit on their ability to think...

11 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It’s not surprising when they bolt the lines directly on top of about 2 feet of solid concrete. You’d have thought they’d have thought of the lack of give and vibration in any of the new set up when they designed it. It will be great for people to come to the IOM and get woken up by the early morning horse tram grating it’s way across the prom. 

You think there was an element of design in there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The most galling thing is the determination to press on regardless, in the face of overwhelming evidence that this isn’t going to plan, or is likely to work. 

Often what happens when things are ego or arrogance-driven?

10 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Well I’m assuming that it’s common knowledge in engineering circles. Isn’t that why railway sleepers are wooden? To absorb the weight and the dissipate noise? On deciding to bolt rails directly onto two feet of immovable concrete surely the risk of extra noise had to have been considered? 

Railways have also used compressible ballast to bed sleepers in for hundreds of years. Clearly  the DOI feel the need to overturn this established need and are reinventing the wheel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Railways have also used compressible ballast to bed sleepers in for hundreds of years. Clearly  the DOI feel the need to overturn this established need and are reinventing the wheel.

16 minutes ago, MrPB said:

Well I’m assuming that it’s common knowledge in engineering circles. Isn’t that why railway sleepers are wooden? To absorb the weight and the dissipate noise? On deciding to bolt rails directly onto two feet of immovable concrete surely the risk of extra noise had to have been considered? 

But, apart from heritage railways, does anyone, anywhere, use wooden sleepers nowadays, or at any time in the last 40 years. It’s all concrete sleepers.

As for ballast, the old tram tracks weren’t on sleepers or ballast, nor are light railway or tram systems in 100’s of European cities, and even Blackpool, Manchester, Wimbledon, Edinburgh etc, when they run on streets, pavements, shared areas.

Thats accepted engineering design practice for 120+ years. No wheel inventing there?

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

But, apart from heritage railways, does anyone, anywhere, use wooden sleepers nowadays, or at any time in the last 40 years. It’s all concrete sleepers.

As for ballast, the old tram tracks weren’t on sleepers or ballast, nor are light railway or tram systems in 100’s of European cities, and even Blackpool, Manchester, Wimbledon, Edinburgh etc, when they run on streets, pavements, shared areas.

Thats accepted engineering design practice for 120+ years. No wheel inventing there?

It's the DOI it must be incorrect! Mind you the DLR is the noisiest railway I've ever been on!

Presumably, there is a lot of knowledge and experience from from the many cities around the world that have trams and “they” will have availed themselves of this, 

(I read somewhere about in the Hague they had problems with a noise from resonance  from similar natural frequencies of wheels track and the concrete  base and nearby foundations of buildings which led to problems).

I think it is really unlikely that professional engineers  are unaware of such things. 

Edited by hampsterkahn

The easiest way to fix the rail problem is to stop laying them when they reach the Villa. 

I'm told the horse tram part of the scheme is heading massively over budget already and it's highly likely they will scrap the Loch Promenade section (that also removes the need to lose 90 - 100 parking spaces which should prove popular with the public). 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, foxdaleliberationfront said:

The easiest way to fix the rail problem is to stop laying them when they reach the Villa. 

I'm told the horse tram part of the scheme is heading massively over budget already and it's highly likely they will scrap the Loch Promenade section (that also removes the need to lose 90 - 100 parking spaces which should prove popular with the public). 

I call bullshit on your 'I'm told....'.

• Like 1