Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

For Gods sake, don't encourage them!!!

Please invest in our Tax Haven iSLAND, we have electrified monstrosities and clippedy clop horse trams!!!

I'm not even sure that African Dictators would count that among their parameter?

More seriously, when it all falls apart, who do we blame?  The DoI for their oversight? The contractors for their slavishly following the "" PLANS"" or even the workers for not pointing out that it's a load of crap?

Perhaps sequestration should be written into the MHK contract?

Edited by Kopek
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

For Gods sake, don't encourage them!!!

Please invest in our Tax Haven iSLAND, we have electrified monstrosities and clippedy clop horse trams!!!

I'm not even sure that African Dictators would count that among their parameter?

More seriously, when it all falls apart, who do we blame?  The DoI for their oversight? The contractors for their slavishly following the "" PLANS"" or even the workers for not pointing out that it's a load of crap?

Perhaps sequestration should be written into the MHK contract?

The contractors cannot speak out. If they rub the DOI up the wrong way they will be black balled.

from my experience even when they do say something they aren’t listened to in any case.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

I drove down Queens Prom today.

once there is a tram on the tracks, will there be enough room to maintain parking on the landward side and allow for vehicular traffic?

Can’t  see it myself.

They allowed 1.8m for parking. That doesn't account for bad parking or these little facts: a nissan qashqai is 1.806m; a Ford Transit van 2.113m; and a BMW x5 is 2.218m. The stupid is strong in the DOI.

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

They allowed 1.8m for parking. That doesn't account for bad parking or these little facts: a nissan qashqai is 1.806m; a Ford Transit van 2.113m; and a BMW x5 is 2.218m. The stupid is strong in the DOI.

I've given up saying you couldn't make it up as clearly they did . If all this is true ,and I've no reason to doubt any of it it makes you wonder what other beauties will be revealed in weeks and months to come . 

Edited by Numbnuts

11 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

This is confirmed here in the normal DOI style of you will believe everything we tell you 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48953&headline=More space for trams and traffic insists DoI&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

The relevant bit from the article is

"A spokesman for the Department of Infrastructure said: ’The tram tracks are 300mm wider at the request of Isle of Man Transport, the position of the tracks is virtually as it was before.

’The roadway is 3.25 metres wide on either side of tracks as a "running lane", allowing 1.8 metres for parked vehicles. The carriageway is now a consistent 3.25m width along the route - previously it was as narrow as 2.8m in places.

’There shouldn’t be a need for vehicles to move onto the red (sienna) tram corridor.’"

See, they have it all in hand.

33 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

he carriageway is now a consistent 3.25m width along the route - previously it was as narrow as 2.8m in places.

Previously the road was quite wide along by the Queens etc with plenty of space to pass the trams.  Nearer the empress and Palace there were sections where traffic often sat behind the tram as it was pretty tight.

Are they now saying that the whole length is only 45cm wider than those narrow points previously were?  Sounds like a nightmare if so

13 hours ago, Kopek said:

The Laxey Review may be the test case. With the evidence collated there can’t be any verdict but negligence.   It’s unlikely the insurers would be going after them en masse if they didn’t believe this to be the case. But as you say, who’s to blame. The government have already admitted responsibility but my guess is that the contractors will get the blame and they will be responsible for reimbursing the insurers. And no guesses for what might happen then... 

Edited by ecobob
Punctuation