Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

3 hours ago, MrPB said:

It doesn’t matter though. According to Harmer and his DOI chums we’ll all be cycling to work by next summer as the Active Travel policy is so successful so we won’t need to park any of these cars anymore as we’ll be the new Vietnam with families all cycling to work. Sometimes 4 to a bike! That’s the wet dream they all seem to have. 

Boy will it be wet with our weather. Rusty bike and rheumatic fever anyone?

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

This is confirmed here in the normal DOI style of you will believe everything we tell you 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=48953&headline=More space for trams and traffic insists DoI&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2019

The relevant bit from the article is

"A spokesman for the Department of Infrastructure said: ’The tram tracks are 300mm wider at the request of Isle of Man Transport, the position of the tracks is virtually as it was before.

’The roadway is 3.25 metres wide on either side of tracks as a "running lane", allowing 1.8 metres for parked vehicles. The carriageway is now a consistent 3.25m width along the route - previously it was as narrow as 2.8m in places.

’There shouldn’t be a need for vehicles to move onto the red (sienna) tram corridor.’"

See, they have it all in hand.

Am I missing something here . Genuine question ..if road is now going to be 3.25 meters wide each side ...allow 1.8 meters for parked cars ...not enough in my opinion ..that then leaves 1 .45 for moving vehicles ..perhaps someone on here can tell me how wide is a lorry or coach etc or Bin wagon ?? , please tell me I'm missing something obvious because if I'm not we have a problem ! 

Edited by Numbnuts

19 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Am I missing something here . Genuine question ..if road is now going to be 3.25 meters wide each side ...allow 1.8 meters for parked cars ...not enough in my opinion ..that then leaves 1 .45 for moving vehicles ..perhaps someone on here can tell me how wide is a lorry or coach etc or Bin wagon ?? , please tell me I'm missing something obvious because if I'm not we have a problem ! 

Why? The trams don't run all year and when they are running, it will be the same as it was before - cars, buses and other large vehicles will just have to wait until they can pass

3 hours ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

"A spokesman for the Department of Infrastructure said: ’The tram tracks are 300mm wider at the request of Isle of Man Transport, the position of the tracks is virtually as it was before".

Surely a contradiction in terms? If the tracks are 300m wider (presumably a wider central reservation as the width between the individual tracks can't change or the tram wheels and axles wouldn't fit?) then they can't be as they were before, virtually or not.

Secondly, that 300mm has to have come from somewhere, "presumably" a 150mm reduction in the width of each traffic lane either side. Unless they're narrowing the pavements, encroaching on the seaward side gardens etc. or reclaiming land on the seaward side.

So the traffic lanes have to be narrower or the parking spaces have to be narrower than what was there previously? Or am I missing something?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kevster said:

Why? The trams don't run all year and when they are running, it will be the same as it was before - cars, buses and other large vehicles will just have to wait until they can pass

But at the moment they're only having to wait for the trams to pass a couple of pinch points - and not even then depending on parking etc.  Reducing the available width will mean that the entire length of the Queens Prom will be one long pinch point and rather than drivers of wider vehicles will have to wait for the horse trams to go the whole length before they can get through.  A lot of traffic can build in that time.

Of course the most likely vehicles to be affected will the quarter-hourly buses going along the Prom who can't take alternative routes.  I can't imagine it will be very pleasant for the horses either as traffic will be forced to go even closer to them.  All for some whim of one bureaucrat (Longworth) that is never going to happen in any case.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typo
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, kevster said:

It's not the same as before though Is it !! Do the maths .

plus ...quote from DOI ...There shouldn’t be a need for vehicles to move onto the red (sienna) tram corridor.’"

Edited by Numbnuts

I still don't get why this part of the prom isn't a single horsetram track*. It's the narrowest part of the prom. The widest part being where they are going to put the single track. 

*I know why they did it because apparently the horse would be startled with the cars on both sides. But they didn't have to have the trams run in the middle of the road. The sea side parking is only ever half used on that end and there's a path that is rarely used that could have been integrated into the tracks.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrPB said:

A Mecedes Citaro bus is 2.5m wide so that will be interesting. 3.25m - 1.8m = 1.45m so no room for any parking at all if they’re running buses down that stretch. 

This will be used to show that horse trams are actually a More efficient part of our integrated transport system than buses. 

When the bus cannot pass the horse tram, it will be late to every stop, this proving that the horse trams are actually faster, and therefore it’s been worth the couple of mil.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

This will be used to show that horse trams are actually a More efficient part of our integrated transport system than buses. 

When the bus cannot pass the horse tram, it will be late to every stop, this proving that the horse trams are actually faster, and therefore it’s been worth the couple of mil.

It'll be used to buy new thinner buses specially designed for the prom by the crack in-house team of designers at the DoI.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, The Orgozoid said:

The man is a fool. He’ll be churned and burned like the rest of them for trying to justify the incompetent acts of the civil servants around him. 

You are right. There is no way anyone can defend or justify the incompatance going on down on the Prom. Apart from anything there's never a decent amount of workers on site. Harmer said at commencement that there would be up to 60/70 men working on the site...really !!! Most I've counted , and I have a look most days , is 15 across the whole length of the Prom.   

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Most I've countered , and I have a look most days , is 15 across the whole length of the Prom.   

Well stop countering them...maybe they’ll get some work done!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1