Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

It's been updated now.

Seems it's going to take up to a week to fix. That's right folks. A week!

It will be fixed in 4 days and there will be a follow up press release about how the team managed, against all odds, to complete this major road reconstruction ahead of schedule.

• 3 months later...

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/weekend-work-could-speed-up-peel-rd-scheme-1-6250744

don't worry:

".....and lessons should be learned for future projects."

See? It's all good.

It's almost like they never did any roadworks before. :)

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-news/weekend-work-could-speed-up-peel-rd-scheme-1-6250744

don't worry:

".....and lessons should be learned for future projects."

See? It's all good.

It's almost like they never did any roadworks before. :)

Most of the people on this thread had never done roadworks before but were capable of transferring experience from other work (ie the more hours in a week you spend on something, the quicker it gets done and the less disruption is caused)

• Like 2

So....let me get this straight.....you moan because something takes longer than you think it should (even though it's ahead of schedule) therefore you want more money being spent (which you claim we can't afford) so that it can be done quicker....er....how does that work out at pleasing all the people all the time then.....just curious?

• Like 1

Ahead of schedule! Ha ha, good one.

My wife wants the lounge painting before Christmas. If I start at 8 one morning I should be done by 8 that night.

If I tell her it's going to take me until next Christmas does that count as ahead of schedule if I get done for summer?

Would it be efficient for me to only do half an hour a day to include putting on overalls, putting down dust sheets, opening paint, packing up, cleaning brushes and rollers etc? Or is it a better use of time to just get set up and crack on?

Who said we couldn't afford it? I think it could have been done quicker and cheaper. I certainly think the government can afford it more than all the local businesses that it's cost money as it drags on, and on, and on, while for long periods of each week the site lays idle.

If you think it only impacts waltons and mc ds think about every business on the estate down there. Typhoon house delivery drivers must have spent hours sat in traffic and the same goes for every business down there.

I only mentioned the news article to marvel at the fact that it's taken this long to figure out working weekends and longer days is a good idea. It's mind boggling and more than a bit scary.

Matt, the staff should have been put on shift, much like any other 24/7 operation.

Wonder how much nurses earn compared to some on the road crews?

No extra cost, work gets done faster, half as many stood about during the day.

Simple example of daytime overkill...

The moving of the clock tower attracted no less than 30 high viz jackets to move a lump of cast iron...... (Public sector)

Lifting of 40+ foot boats in the harbour takes about 4. (Private sector)

Matt, the staff should have been put on shift, much like any other 24/7 operation.

Wonder how much nurses earn compared to some on the road crews?

No extra cost, work gets done faster, half as many stood about during the day.

Simple example of daytime overkill...

The moving of the clock tower attracted no less than 30 high viz jackets to move a lump of cast iron...... (Public sector)

Lifting of 40+ foot boats in the harbour takes about 4. (Private sector)

Bob, the trouble is that people then complain about the noise before and after specific times.... it's pretty much a case of that no matter what the DoI would have done there would be a section of society that would be up in arms...we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

It is a major inconvenience to all, not forgetting the fact that those who are working on it, managing it, planning it are all island residents and have everything to gain by getting it done as quickly and I inexpensively as possible along with the fact that everyone involved is aware of the financial impact to local businesses so I genuinely believe that due consideration and consultation/discussion had taken place and all avenues/options explored. The road, footways and signals all needed doing and I would imagine that the road etc. will not need to bedone again for many years, surely you can see the bigger picture here.

Edited by Matt Bawden

Matt. Bollox if I ran a project like that I'd be ashamed. Don't waste time defending it!

I'm promoting what I feel are the positives, I'm no expert on road construction/resurfacing so I don't know how things should've been done no more than anyone else on this forum but as I have stated I would hope that what is in place although not perfect is the best of all options given that money etc. are factors.

I've had dialogue with someone who apparently ran multi-million pound road/civils schemes who criticised the planning and implementation of the Peel Road scheme and when I challenged them to come up with a viable alternative to that which was/is in place they offered nothing but silence.

Target cost. EOI with PC owning design and programme risk

Come on old chap, do you really think that would be fair on a contract where a large part of the work is under the ground and therefore not fully quantifiable prior to breaking that ground?

You are an architect and I claim my 5 pounds......