Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

31 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Did they have a load of tarmac they needed to get rid of before black eye Friday? They can't get it down quick enough at the moment. 

You see how thick it went down too..and laying it all over the weekend. My bet it's to soften the blow of what's coming on the 18th when the next proposed timetable is announced . Extending big time the finish date ...watch this space !! 

Edited by Numbnuts

Being a simple soul from the motor trade, I don't pretend to know much about civil engineering, but this 'forensic discovery' does seem to be rather obvious, even without the benefit of hindsight. I'd suggest multiple failures, from design down to the actual pouring of the concrete. There's a reason that the lines ran in tarmac for so many years, as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread!

I spent a bit of time as a project manager, dealing with the building trades. I was shocked at how the 'bleedin' obvious' seemed to pass them by on multiple occasions. The customer always pays for their mistakes, I've never known a trade like it!

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52634&headline=Design flaws led to cracks in prom&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019

Well as I'd said before ,big meeting tomorrow to put the new plans going forward being put to stakeholders ,business etc .wonder when it will be announced to general public ? I'm pretty sure it's not going to be good news re timetable etc bearing in mind there not working on landside road next summer due to complaints from hoteliers and guest house owners and the likes. 

Edited by Numbnuts

Govt bloat (sorry Albert :D ) is busy sucking the economic lifeblood out of this Island. But it's so intent on doing it for its own self-preservation that it can't see the effects it's having.

"Whaddya mean they're not taxing their cars? Double the tax immediately!"

Driven by some twit's delusion that everybody aspires to MAMIL.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

Govt bloat (sorry Albert :D ) is busy sucking the economic lifeblood out of this Island. But it's so intent on doing it for its self-preservation that it can't see the effects it's having.

"Whaddya mean they're not taxing their cars? Double the tax immediately!"

Driven by some twit's delusion that everybody aspires to MAMIL.

It will get to the stage that there will only be HNWIs here, with nobody to wipe their arse!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrPB said:

Ive just read the paper and it all becomes clear at last. Harmer has said that he is prepared to get tough with people to encourage them to ditch their cars. So there you go ladies and gentlemen this whole fuck up is actually an elaborate DOI plot to make commuting into Douglas by car pretty much impossible so he can get us all walking and cycling. So maybe he’s not a total idiot, and they aren’t all monumentally incompetent, but instead he is a clever environmental strategist delivering a carefully devised £25M plan to make Douglas completely unnavigable by car to save us all? 

04C6874C-8B0F-4746-AFC4-3B091B227AD0.jpeg

I imagine the removal of free reserved parking for Tynwald Members would cause Mr Harmer to rethink his strategy.

• Like 3

Ive just read the paper and it all becomes clear at last. Harmer has said that he is prepared to get tough with people to encourage them to ditch their cars. So there you go ladies and gentlemen this whole fuck up is actually an elaborate DOI plot to make commuting into Douglas by car pretty much impossible so he can get us all walking and cycling. So maybe he’s not a total idiot, and they aren’t all monumentally incompetent, but instead he is a clever environmental strategist delivering a carefully devised £25M plan to make Douglas completely unnavigable by car to save us all?    

MrPB I see one glaring fault with your statement i.e. "So maybe he's not a total idiot."

• Haha 1

Active travel is brilliant - but on an island with a widely dispersed population, and employment centred in Douglas, its going to struggle. Add to that unpredictable weather and poor roads, and alternative to roads, and you are really beginning to struggle. I do most of my cycle training indoors these days, especially during the winter. Back in the cops days, I used a work pushbike a lot in Ramsey, as I lived on the manor, and would use it for most of my local journeys of a couple of miles. But I had the benefit of pretty good wet weather gear.

I still think the most proactive experiment they might try is making the buses free for 12 months. Its going to cost perhaps £5-6m (I don't know what they take in fares at the moment) but it would give a good indication as to how much uptake there would be, and what environmental impact it would have. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

I still think the most proactive experiment they might try is making the buses free for 12 months. Its going to cost perhaps £5-6m (I don't know what they take in fares at the moment) but it would give a good indication as to how much uptake there would be, and what environmental impact it would have. 

Aha! Sense on MF.

• Like 1

Weren't the collective losses for buses,  trams and trains already in excess of £7M per year lately? Would a further loss in the name of free bus fares be acceptable or sustainable?

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

Weren't the collective losses for buses,  trams and trains already in excess of £7M per year lately? Would a further loss in the name of free bus fares be acceptable or sustainable?

I think you might be right. But lets be pragmatic here; Millions are going to be spaffed on active travel and climate stuff anyway. This might be a good way to get a late tackle in early. It might significantly modify behaviours for the better.