Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

2 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

They'd better hope not too many take up this active travel idea or they are going to have to come up with a new idea to stealth a few more quid out of the general population.

Especially as new busses will be needed. Shiny new German busses.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

They'd better hope not too many take up this active travel idea or they are going to have to come up with a new idea to stealth a few more quid out of the general population.

Compulsory registration fees and Govt-brokered insurance for pushbikes...

Wonder how the associated budgeting is going....? Because if the mission slip has gone that far to date then the budgeting must be up the creek as well?

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

5 minutes ago, doc.fixit said:

This active travel nonsense, how can one man have so much apparent influence?

It isn’t nonsense. It’s just our environment and infrastructure is completely unsuited to major take up. 

There are some short journey gains that can be made, but the majority of us are reliant on the strategic routes.

• Confused 1

Be interesting to see how much influence he has on the doorstep at the next election...he's got a few very expensive faux pas under his belt to explain away after this last term, ongoing Prom and Peel Harbour business, redundant cycle lanes, failure to rein in Longworth and his list of calamities.

Trying to drive everybody out of their cars and onto their feet or pushbikes may be the last straw on the camel's back.

20 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

It isn’t nonsense. It’s just our environment and infrastructure is completely unsuited to major take up. 

There are some short journey gains that can be made, but the majority of us are reliant on the strategic routes.

Sorry, then it's nonsense to try and make it work in those circumstances.

Bearing in mind the constraints that you indicate and I totally agree with, why try and initiate such a scheme?

In addition to those constraints there is also the problem of having a centralised bureaucracy and shopping centre, out of town mega stores and an aging population.

I for one wouldn't want to be cycling or bussing to Douglas to shop, then to B and Q then trying to struggle home with half a hundred weight of shopping , even on a nice day and I'm only 73! Neither would I have even tried to ride or bus to work, from Ramsey to Ballakermeen and back when I was working. Therefore, I stick to my comment, in my opinion it's a nonsense idea.

• Like 7

If Govt had made any realistic attempt to de-centralise and disperse its various Depts out of Douglas and around the Island it might have been in with a chance.

However, as long as the employment centre remains Douglas-centric and with the Island's topography and weather not being transport friendly (certainly as regards cycle-commuting), it's a non-starter. And that's not anybody's rocket science.

Another idea dreamed up within an office without bothering to come out and check on the facts. A Manx civil servant trait.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

Be interesting to see how much influence he has on the doorstep at the next election...he's got a few very expensive faux pas under his belt to explain away after this last term, ongoing Prom and Peel Harbour business, redundant cycle lanes, failure to rein in Longworth and his list of calamities.

Trying to drive everybody out of their cars and onto their feet or pushbikes may be the last straw on the camel's back.

If no one runs except the Baron and the Dentist then he'll walk back in again. Lack of candidates was Peel's biggest failing.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MrPB said:

People assume Harmer wants to stand again. To look at him I’m not sure that’s a given. He looks like a space hopper with all the air sucked out. 

I think that's what working in the IoM PS does to a lot of people if they're not PS from starting work age to retirement and therefore conditioned to it.

Sucks the life, any will to live and enthusiasm out. Assimilates people into obedient drones, unquestioning of standards, flaws or lack of responsibility.

Only cure is to get out of it if you don't fit.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1