Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

41 minutes ago, MrPB said:

They’re absolutely vital for tourism says Mr Longworth who seems to have far too much influence still. 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52706

“He said a major UK operator had 37 tours booked so far to include travel on a horse tram, representing 17,000 bed nights.

Mr Harmer felt it was important to recognise the wider benefits of the horse trams.”

I think this is a telling indictment of the scale of our national ambition. If we think that, because the horse tram became unavailable all is lost with tourism, and that we would somehow have to refund everyone’s money because of that one thing, then we are really in a mess.

I think I could say with some confidence, that in respect of the few hundred that have booked these tours to the Isle of  Man, not one of them would have chosen not to come if the horse trams hadn’t been available.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, GD4ELI said:

Further changes to the £25m Promenade refurbishment scheme have been unveiled - with the completion date now put back to August 2021.

Who thinks they'll keep it to 'just' £25m?

With an extension like that it can't possibly remain in budget, by definition. Especially if Mr Auldyn/Colas is busy logging management/planning-induced delays (as mentioned earlier in the thread) for which presumably a large "extras" invoice will be presented at the end.

Perhaps it's time Mr Harmer started recognising some wider benefits to the taxpayer and gave Longworth his final bullet. And then scrap this tram scheme madness. Put them up on Ramsey's North Promenade where there's adequate space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Non-Believer said:

With an extension like that it can't possibly remain in budget, by definition. Especially if Mr Auldyn/Colas is busy logging management/planning-induced delays (as mentioned earlier in the thread) for which presumably a large "extras" invoice will be presented at the end.

Perhaps it's time Mr Harmer started recognising some wider benefits to the taxpayer and gave Longworth his final bullet. And then scrap this tram scheme madness. Put them up on Ramsey's North Promenade where there's adequate space.

Again I have it on very good authority that the 25 million budget was a very generous one which allowed for issues cropping up . Not sure though if it will allow for the redoing of the concrete etc and all the additional works done to rails and the likes.. 

37 coaches of 65 people staying for 7 nights for the 17000, 2400 people, £2 each on the horse tram makes just under £5000. Awesome.

I get the bed nights argument but as pointed out earlier they aren't coming just for the horse trams. Someone should punch Longworth in the mouth.

Also, who is J Robinson?

• Like 5

I wonder why Messrs Harmer and Baker can't challenge those figures in similar vein? Or any other of our elected?

Rather than leaving them to be released to the general public who promptly curl up laughing and have their opinions of ineptitude and incompetence reaffirmed.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

37 coaches of 65 people staying for 7 nights for the 17000, 2400 people, £2 each on the horse tram makes just under £5000. Awesome.

I get the bed nights argument but as pointed out earlier they aren't coming just for the horse trams. Someone should punch Longworth in the mouth.

What sort of pleasure can it be anyway, riding slowly through a rubble-strewn landscape reminiscent of downtown Homs?

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Also, who is J Robinson?

DOI posts 

N Black CEO DOI 

J Robinson Director of Highway services

P Singer Director of projects 

J Reece Chief Engineer

A Burrows Project Manager 

K Podmore Design Team Leader 

G Saunders Construction  Manager 

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

What sort of pleasure can it be anyway, riding slowly through a rubble-strewn landscape reminiscent of downtown Homs?

Well, it’ll be a joy if you happen to hail from Wolverhampton.

It seems that despite the 120 odd years of previous experience of running the trams with their rails in asphalt, some wise arse H&S bod trumped knowledge with the fact that there is a ’necessary health and safety requirement’ that ensures that pedestrians are aware of the change in their environment'. Hence cracked red concrete! How have we managed for all these years?

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52764&he’necessary health and safety requirement’ that ensures that pedestrians are aware of the change in their environment.adline=Douglas Promenade: Concrete tramway was most cost effective says Department of Infrastructure&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2019