Promenade - Megathread

slinkydevil

34 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

I see the new updated phasing plans show the seaside road section at Derby Castle end of Queens promenade as being complete, presumably the fencing, missing bits of pavement and the 12 inch ramp up to the sienna cracked concrete are all part of the finished design then.

I was quite impressed that the phasing plans were already out of date the day they published them. Gives you a nice warm feeling inside that all will be done on time and within budget from now on. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

I was quite impressed that the phasing plans were already out of date the day they published them. Gives you a nice warm feeling inside that all will be done on time and within budget from now on. 

They'll be much more out of date by the end of February. Have you seen how much work is supposed to be completed between now, and then? The whole thing is another complete work of fantasy and fiction.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Nellie said:

They'll be much more out of date by the end of February. Have you seen how much work is supposed to be completed between now, and then? The whole thing is another complete work of fantasy and fiction.  

this must be one of those fake news things they were on about in another thread.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Yes and the recent work projection and timetable didn't include loads of areas so not sure how they intend fitting those works into schedule ..as you say totally fantasy and treating the public like idiots . They have no shame it would seem 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nellie said:

But that's what has marked the whole project hasn't it?  The deadlines, budgets, technical decisions and so on have all been based on what was seen as being politically acceptable, rather than the actual situation.  They're still pretending that the project could be finished before the 2021 election, even though no one outside the DoI cares about such arbitrary deadlines.  Everyone outside the DoI bubble seems more realistic than those who are supposed to deliver the project.

This sort of ignoring of reality seems to be increasingly common - look at the way those running the Crossrail project in London kept on pretending it would open December 2018 up to a few months before then, even though it was literally years behind.  It seems to derive from a political-media culture where the rhetoric is more important than how things are actually carried out.

• Like 3

Well, now that Mr. Longworth is back at the, er, reins no doubt it's all in control.

According to the write up in the Indy the railways are in far better shape than they were when he took over and losses have been cut considerably.

£7M lost 2018, wasn't it?

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Well, now that Mr. Longworth is back at the, er, reins no doubt it's all in control.

According to the write up in the Indy the railways are in far better shape than they were when he took over and losses have been cut considerably.

£7M lost 2018, wasn't it?

It's like he's never been away...

I wonder if the buses were parked up in the KM school carpark out of convenience because the drivers reside in KM or surrounding area? If they were used in this Northern Connect Villages lark it might have saved them having to be collected from Banks Circus every day?

• Like 1

I think the issue is that because they were being operated as a commercial entity, it was being argued that other operators should therefore be able to use Govt property to park up.

there are a load parked up at the back of Ramsey Cottage Hospital. Up to half a dozen. God knows how many they bought.

I think the covering article in the Indy (not to hand at the mo) cites mid-sixties in number, bought in a number of tranches.

ETA. It's now on iomtoday, 67 in total including 20 bought over the last three years in two batches at a total cost of over £1M for the two batches.

Edited by Non-Believer
Extra bit

1 hour ago, Derek Flint said:

I think the issue is that because they were being operated as a commercial entity, it was being argued that other operators should therefore be able to use Govt property to park up.

there are a load parked up at the back of Ramsey Cottage Hospital. Up to half a dozen. God knows how many they bought.

30 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

I think the covering article in the Indy (not to hand at the mo) cites mid-sixties in number, bought in a number of tranches.

67 apparently....

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=52930&headline=Dial-a-ride benefits not just financial say bus chiefs&sectionIs=NEWS&searchyear=2020