Residents object to Derbyhaven development.

Max Power

23 minutes ago, WTF said:

compulsory purchase order , cos its worth a lot less now with no dandara scheme planning, and then let someone who wanted to build just a decent hotel with no residential stuff  crack on.   

Estimate to remove the asbestos was £5million I seem to remember, so get ready to pay.

Dandara are the (speculative) owners of the property, if they've allowed it to deteriorate to the extent that it's a hazard or a blight then serve them with the appropriate papers; the powers do exist. The option is still with them to come up with an acceptable proposal for redevelopment.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Dandara are the (speculative) owners of the property, if they've allowed it to deteriorate to the extent that it's a hazard or a blight then serve them with the appropriate papers; the powers do exist. The option is still with them to come up with an acceptable proposal for redevelopment.

Acceptable is really subjective, it doesn't take much to get the loonies riled in these here parts! Small minorities have so much power to confound almost anything here, in comparison to other places.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hissingsid said:

The properties down there are not cheap and the residents obviously do not want a really beautiful part of the Island to get overdeveloped.   It is a few years since I was done there but I seem to remember the approach road being quite narrow…may have been improved since then. 

What were you done for, trespassing? 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Dandara aren't going to fund that, neither will they give it away for nothing. That leaves the cost with the GMP again. 

They may have no choice in the matter.

http://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1991/1991-0021/BuildingControlAct1991_1.pdf

(see sections 22, 23 and 24).

Of course it's possible that the Fort Island Developments Limited may be intended as a vehicle that can be put into liquidation in order to dump the costs of Dandara Group's speculative failure onto the taxpayer. That would presumably be the end of the IoMG - Dandara love affair though. God knows that relationship must have been tested enough after the way those who had paid deposits on Dandara's Ballasalla development were treated.

Edited by Yibble
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Max Power said:

We must have more crap that is 'of special scientific interest' than anywhere else on the planet, most of it is probably the rare six toed and fingered, knuckle dragging, wooly headed idiot who hold this place in the distant past, and block anything and everything which is proposed to bring the 21st century to the island! 

Leave the TT petrol only fanatics out of it @Max Power😂

• Haha 1

Re -wilding that area would be a great step forward for green credentials. Times have changed, and what was acceptable 50 years ago to planning may not necessarily be the case now, in light of the desire to save the planet !

If it wasn't for the last Comin -dara this area should have been dealt with long ago.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Yibble said:

They may have no choice in the matter.

http://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/1991/1991-0021/BuildingControlAct1991_1.pdf

(see sections 22, 23 and 24).

Of course it's possible that the Fort Island Developments Limited may be intended as a vehicle that can be put into liquidation in order to dump the costs of Dandara Group's speculative failure onto the taxpayer. That would presumably be the end of the IoMG - Dandara love affair though. God knows that relationship must have been tested enough after the way those who had paid deposits on Dandara's Ballasalla development were treated.

You are technically correct. However that legislation is notoriously weak and difficult to enforce. If enforced, Dandara would probably just tidy the old building up a bit in order to comply. A stalemate would ensue.

What's needed is a bit of old fashioned dialogue. A way forward that is acceptable to all is required. Going back to nature will involve injection of public funds. Possibly a lot of public funds!

Am no fan of Dandara  but they build houses and people buy them, also they always seem to have the upper-hand over our government ( no surprise there) but I suppose that applies to most of the big players in the private sector. Now sitting on the big proverbial hedge and someone who enjoys nature, I would still like to see the hotel built and possibly a vastly reduced amount of apartments as a compromise with a covenant so that hotel can’t be run to fail and switched to apartments. There’s a vibrant golf course with a large amount of traffic coming and going and that would be even more in times when the hotel was open in the past (long before half the residents down there moved in) the Derbyhaven residents have always come across to me a old colonial types with a nimby attitude. A clever new design could encompass nature and development.

Edited by GreyWolf
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, GreyWolf said:

Am no fan of Dandara  but they build houses and people buy them, also they always seem to have the upper-hand over our government ( no surprise there) but I suppose that applies to most of the big players in the private sector. Now sitting on the big proverbial hedge and someone who enjoys nature, I would still like to see the hotel built and possibly a vastly reduced amount of apartments as a compromise with a covenant so that hotel can’t be run to fail and switched to apartments. There’s a vibrant golf course with a large amount of traffic coming and going and that would be even more in times when the hotel was open in the past (long before half the residents down there moved in) the Derbyhaven residents have always come across to me a old colonial types with a nimby attitude. A clever new design could encompass nature and development.

The problem has always been that's not what Dandara want to build !

Developers are engaged in ruthlessly pursuing profit and it's high time Government here started treating them as such, and not as some generous philanthropist who wants to support the community !

That site is not well served by either roads or sewers, but is probably one of the most potentially profitable sites on the island. The site would be far better cleared and re wilded, and no I don't live anywhere near Derbyhaven.

• Like 1

Difficult one this, but for Government to clear and re-wild the site would cost the taxpayer a few million surely?

First have to buy the site from the owners , then demolish/remove asbestos, and then landscape.

Now their plans have been frustrated, it will sit derelict for another 10 years, which IMHO would be worse than it being developed, under different proposals.