Residents object to Derbyhaven development.

Max Power

I don't think that Planning' have said that nothing can ever be built there? Surely Dandara will come back with revised plans taking Planning comments into consideration?

As to re-wilding, while any expansion should be gratefully received, this piece is quite small and has the Golf Clubhouse and a chunk of fairway separating the site from the rest of Langness. To really work the Clubhouse and car parking would have to be moved to alongside the last house and a wilded link from CTown beach to Fort Island opened up on the s/e coast and the roadway removed, anyone wanting use a wild area should be prepared to 'Walk', the Golfer parking along the roadway alone is ''A Blot....''.

Not sure what DRA would think of a Clubhouse and off road car park next the the last house?

Perhaps that old Fort should be removed too?

No one is saying so but it would be a logical conclusion if the whole of the area is to be regarded as SSSI.

Are you a Derbyhaven resident Rog!!!

It wouldn't need the whole of the golf course to revert but a wild passageway through from Ctown beach to Fort Island.

My post was somewhat 'tongue in cheek' knowing that the DRA would not  approve the moving of the Clubhouse to their  area while disapproving of Dandaras plans but also, while I approve of re-wilding, there has to be some logic to the flow of the land between different areas of SSSI.

I have to admit that, while not a Golfer,  I have parked on the roadway to have Lunch in the Clubhouse but if parking there were removed for SSSI purposes, I would not object. What then for the Golfers and the Lunchers at the Clubhouse?

In the 'Old Days' we used to drive onto Fort Island and park on the grass around the Fort, it has now been hard packted for parking but why? If it is a SSSI standard surely there should not be any car access to Fort Isle??? Including the roadway by the Clubhouse?                            

RG. ''    to prevent it reverting to scrubland  '' but that is what is meant by re-wilding, to allow a piece of land to revert to what is was before Man controlled it for his own use?

Edited by Kopek

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Rewilding probably isn't the right term as the peninsula need to be managed to prevent it reverting to scrubland and no one is saying that the golf course should be allowed to revert to nature.

That's right. And the hotel footprint is a fraction of the golf course area.

If the new one was no bigger than the old one then I can't see an issue with it still being a SSCI. The cliffs and clifftop are the significant habitat. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, Banker said:

Appeal has been turned down so sty as a derelict site for a few more years ago, assume Dan will go back with revised plans for less flats 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fort-island-hotel-plans-quashed/?fbclid=IwAR3V_fnE-xidxICUETdX_H99CBOdlZy4T5t69UuMnq7QKl4RlZbZrSDELn4

That’s assuming Dandara don’t just give up on the island and find somewhere that’s let’s them build stuff.

The reasons for refusal are stupid, and all the money they have spent trying to progress down there and the one that was recently refused at Ramsey must be eye watering.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

That’s assuming Dandara don’t just give up on the island and find somewhere that’s let’s them build stuff.

The reasons for refusal are stupid, and all the money they have spent trying to progress down there and the one that was recently refused at Ramsey must be eye watering.

I thought site had PP for hotel & some luxury flats?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Appeal has been turned down so sty as a derelict site for a few more years ago, assume Dan will go back with revised plans for less flats 

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/fort-island-hotel-plans-quashed/?fbclid=IwAR3V_fnE-xidxICUETdX_H99CBOdlZy4T5t69UuMnq7QKl4RlZbZrSDELn4

Or perhaps it could be refurbished back to a hotel and golf club without luxury flats?

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

Dandara aren’t stupid, they would have factored in all the aggravation and disruption. If they ever got the planning then they would reap the rewards. 

1 minute ago, Asthehills said:

It could, and it would be bankrupt inside three years.

Or perhaps IOMG should cave in give Dandara planning permission for whatever they want, wherever they want, total unrestricted planning? Personally I couldn’t give a shit about whether the scheme would bankrupt them, that’s a risk they and others have to take. Let’s face it the directors have done well for themselves and aren’t short of funds, so I don’t feel sorry for them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

59 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

For some reason it's preferable to have it as the king of all eyesores on this Island for at least another 5 years. 

Only 5 years! I was thinking more like 30 was more typical. Unless you are under 20 you ain't going to be seeing anything happen in your lifetime. 

39 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Or perhaps it could be refurbished back to a hotel and golf club without luxury flats?

A hotel is not viable on its own, who’s going to stay out there in winter? Also golf club is nothing to do with hotel site & in fact the owners have been arguing for years