Residents object to Derbyhaven development.

Max Power

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

A hotel is not viable on its own, who’s going to stay out there in winter? Also golf club is nothing to do with hotel site & in fact the owners have been arguing for years 

That’s a risk that Dandara or any other developer has to take. If there are squabbles between competing parties - that’s something that they will have to deal with. So people wanting to play golf go the COMIS and stay there, even during the winter.

12 minutes ago, 2112 said:

That’s a risk that Dandara or any other developer has to take. If there are squabbles between competing parties - that’s something that they will have to deal with. So people wanting to play golf go the COMIS and stay there, even during the winter.

People don’t go to play golf in the winter in Isle of Man!! Comis gets high occupancy in winter by offering deals, spa & pools with golf availability if wanted 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The wealthy South African enclave at Derbyhaven will be delighted, after all their hard work and cosy chats on the golf course results in the great unwashed being unable to buy a flat on what they consider their land.

You obviously know them as well!!

28 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The wealthy South African enclave at Derbyhaven will be delighted, after all their hard work and cosy chats on the golf course results in the great unwashed being unable to buy a flat on what they consider their land.

To be fair I doubt that the great unwashed would have been the target market for this development.  Though it would be funny if it now became social housing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair I doubt that the great unwashed would have been the target market for this development.  Though it would be funny if it now became social housing.

Maybe social housing tenants play golf? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WTF said:

i thought the south african wanted the old hotel site to actually build a new hotel and restaurant etc so he could do package deal golfing holidays and dandara won't sell to him????

Yes he did make an offer to Dandara as reported in the newspapers in 2021. https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/planning/millionaire-offers-to-buy-derelict-hotel-site-239615

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I don't know many of the great unwashed with millions as that what these would have been.

As a wildlife enthusiast I would always have been happiest for nothing to be there, irrespective of the owners. However the developer knew when they bought the land, that planning existed for a development which they didn't want to build. They have fought to position themselves to make huge amounts of money on what would have been one of the most sought after sites on the island, nothing about this is about needed development or philanthropy, it's about bottom line . I was absolutely convinced Government would cave in eventually, as clearly the developer was. I am happy that the original consent stands, if they want to build what they bought that's fine. Oh and I have no connection whatsoever with Derbyhaven or it's residents.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1