Residents object to Derbyhaven development.

Max Power

11 minutes ago, asitis said:

A bit disingenuous of Dandara, the quotes in the article, the only reason planning has taken so long and been controversial is their attempts to really hit the big bucks with a development of apartments, which would undoubtedly have been eye watering in cost, and only available to those with bottomless pockets. Had they bought the site with an intention to build what was outline approved at the time, none of this would be occurring. If we were truly biosphere and wildlife orientated, this development would be out of the question in any case, as what was acceptable historically does not really fit with the areas status as an ASSI. I made the point earlier they bought the site with consent for X, they knew they wanted to build Y for a stunning bottom line, the prevarications and delays are of their own making.

I am not connected in any way with Derbyhaven or its residents, but sites like the Fort Island one are few and far between and that should be maintained.

I for one am glad they are finally being met with some resistance.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

The narrow road with a 90 degree corner - that won't take the heavy traffic movements?

It’s big enough & they managed to get building materials out to build the clubhouse & also large delivery trucks for many years to the hotel.

Its a public road so they can’t be stopped from using it

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Even though a building has been on the site for c100 years!!

it’s not designated green field, it has outline planning but what dandara wants is way outside guidelines 

Yes quite, but Mr Cullen seems to have down a good job in persuading the powers that be that it is a greenfield site!

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

just how will they get plant and materials out the site to either flatten it,

Fire? 

53 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Dunno if this has been posted before but it isn't looking great inside

https://youtu.be/ZMLxrYmua10

I know some other guys that went in there last year too, I'm sure they also did a Youtube video. 

On 6/28/2023 at 2:49 PM, asitis said:

A bit disingenuous of Dandara, the quotes in the article, the only reason planning has taken so long and been controversial is their attempts to really hit the big bucks with a development of apartments,  . . . . . . .  Had they bought the site with an intention to build what was outline approved at the time, none of this would be occurring.

Exactly. Fort Island Developments / Dandara seem to me to have deliberately blighted the area, for years, as a negotiating tactic to turn a site which has historic permission for use as a hotel site into a major residential development.

I'm not sure FID / Dandara should take too much comfort in the planning inspector and ministers' statements, as their conclusions state "there is a significant prospect that a future failure of the hotel element of the proposed development would result in unwarranted residential development in the countryside, contrary to the Strategic Objectives and Policies of the Isle of Man Strategic Plan." It seems clear the authorities know what Dandara are up to here.

Malew Commissioners, get that s24 Building Control Act 1991 notice served now, as I suspect FID / Dandara will once again try to continue this this with cycle whilst menacing the community with their ruinous site. They've had six years. I bet they won't hesitate to hit us with another six.

[Edit] But anyway, call a halt to their ruin now before we have to wait to find out. Frankly the notice should have been served years ago, but I understand that the Commissioners and other authorities may have shown FID / Dandara a great deal of patience / tolerance, presumably in the hope of a decent hotel development. You've seen how FID / Dandara have responded to that grace. Time to call an end to their game now.

Edited by Yibble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Kopek said:

so who is right, dandara or vemuellen??

anyone know?

I don't think it's quite like that, I'm not sure what part the golf club owner has played in this saga, except to say that he wanted to buy the site originally, but the developer were the preferred bidders. There were some ugly rumours about how that happened, but I couldn't repeat them. The whole saga is another sorry episode, in the annals of sorry episodes on the island !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 3

This will be another drawn out saga no doubt, planning is very hit and miss on the Island whoever gave an open ended deal to the company who have created the horrendous monstrosity in Duke Street should be held to account.   

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, ADELE said:

This will be another drawn out saga no doubt, planning is very hit and miss on the Island whoever gave an open ended deal to the company who have created the horrendous monstrosity in Duke Street should be held to account.   

Planning gave the Duke Street development 4 years (the same as nearly all developments), and they commenced works within this time.

Or are you suggesting time limits on finishing? In a similar vein to fill this CS pension black hole we could also fine all bankrupt companies £1m* - just think of the number of firms that go bankrupt and therefore the massive revenue this would generate.

* Yes I know the Duke Street ones have definitely not ran out of money and are just waiting for the right sort of weather to continue

4 hours ago, ADELE said:

What?  What’s the alleged issue with Duke Street?  You can’t force people with temporary cash flow issues to just continue with work and send themselves under!

• Like 1

Mercenary reckons that the Duke Street people have definately not ran out of money but are just waiting for the right kind of weather to continue,    what kind of weather are they waiting for ?   since they stopped working on the site there has been every sort of weather.    Beyond belief !     In the meantime Duke Street remains looking like a building site.

• Confused 1