Onchan or not

hissingsid

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

And why do you have to live in a parish to be it’s MHK?

Churchill was MP for Dundee at one point 

You don't. People should be free to vote for whoever they want. The argument here is the concept of Onchan as a distinct reality all of its own is compromised by part of it joining Garff for Tynwald votes.  

16 minutes ago, MrPB said:

But then again you’re electing national politicians and not commissioners (that’s the theory anyway) so it shouldn’t matter that you pay rates to one body but vote in politicians in another place. But that’s where we all get confused in the IOM isn’t it? Equating the activity of Commissioners with national politicians. I’ll wager it’s being raised again now though in Onchan as there’s said to be a load of Onchan Commissioners with their eye on standing as MHK next time round - and it’s really going to piss on their chips if half of Onchan can’t actually vote for them. In fact thinking about it for a second this sort of de-link from the local authority might actually be quite a good way of ensuring that lazy granny farming local commissioners can’t seek to elevate themselves quite so easily. 

There are 7 commissioners. So which of the 'loads' of commissioners have said they are going to stand for the Keys?

32 minutes ago, MrPB said:

It would be wrong to name names but I’d heard at least 3 of the current lot were considering it. I imagine if you pick the three most egotistical ones of the lot it would be a fair bet on names. One or two already stood last time didn’t they and failed? This sort of split anywhere will always present challenges for commissioners who wish to stand for keys and I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing as they can’t waste ratepayers cash buying votes if half the people who live in their authority areas can’t actually vote for them in a national election anyway. 

Other than RC only one pother Commissioner stood last time: https://www.manxradio.com/election-2016/2016-keys-candidates/

And will probably be RC and just one other again next time around, may be.

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

And why do you have to live in a parish to be it’s MHK?

Churchill was MP for Dundee at one point 

You don't, and we've had enough pompous buffoons in Manx politics without looking for examples elsewhere. 

Archived